New York City TLC's Driving Hours Rule
The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) passed a rule to manage the number of hours drivers can transport passengers in their vehicle. To help you keep track of your time on Uber trips, the Uber app will alert you when you’re approaching the TLC’s passenger time cap, then again when you’ve driven the maximum amount.
You can listen to this podcast with Sarfraz Maredia, the General Manager of Uber in New York City, to hear more about the TLC’s rule, how it works in the app, and what it means for you.
How this TLC rule impacts you
The rule below applies to all TLC-licensed drivers. No company is permitted to dispatch trips to drivers who have exceeded the following:
10 hours of passenger time in any 24-hour period
- Passenger time is when a rider is in your car. It does not include time spent waiting for trip requests, driving to pick up riders, or waiting for riders to get to your car
- You can reset the 10 hours and get back on the road after 8 hours offline
60 hours a week of passenger time (Sunday to Saturday)
Important to note: The TLC will issue fines to drivers based on the combined number of hours they spend transporting riders across all apps, bases, and companies. That means, if you accept trip requests from multiple companies, it’s important to keep track of your total passenger time on the road, not just your time driving with Uber.
You're in control of your time—and we can help
You’ll now be able to track the time you spend on Uber trips and be reminded when you’ve reached your maximum passenger time on the Uber app. Here’s how it works:
- You’ll receive a notification when you have less than 2 hours left to drive, another when you have less than than 1 hour left, and a final reminder when you have less than 30 minutes left
- The app will automatically go offline if you’ve driven the maximum amount, but don’t worry, you’ll be able to finish any trip you’re currently on
- Once you’ve been offline for 8 hours you’ll be able to go back online to receive trip requests
If you have any questions, please see the TLC's FAQ page.