Driver requirements details
There are a few minimum requirements to meet before you can sign up to drive with Uber:
- Meet the minimum age to drive in your city
- Have at least one year of licensed driving experience in the US (3 years if you are under 25 years old)
- Have a valid California driver’s license
- Use an eligible 4-door vehicle
For your next step, share the following documentation:
- A valid California driver’s license
- Proof of residency in your city, state, or province
- Proof of vehicle insurance if you plan to drive your own car
- A driver profile photo
- Must be a forward-facing, centered photo including the driver’s full face and top of shoulders, with no sunglasses
- Must be a photo only of the driver with no other subject in the frame, well-lit, and in focus; it cannot be a driver’s license photo or other printed photograph
After signing up, you can complete a screening online. It will review your driving record and criminal history.
Additional driver requirements for Uber Black drivers
- Approved, valid, and unexpired TCP Permit from the California Public Utilities Commission
- CA Secretary of State document that verifies the TCP Permit showing the same carrier name and address
- Commercial liability insurance coverage
- Worker’s compensation insurance
- Participation in a controlled substances and alcohol testing program
- Vehicle inspection documents
It's easy to get started
1. Sign up online
Tell us about yourself and your car, or get a car if you need one. Vehicle requirements vary by region, so we’ll show you what’s needed.
2. Share required documents
Next, submit copies of your license, registration, and proof of insurance, plus some information for a background check.
3. Get the app and go
Once you’re on the Uber platform, log in to the app and you can start making money.
More ways to earn
Grab your bike, scooter, or car and boost your earnings by making deliveries with Uber. Enjoy a flexible schedule and quick earning potential all while cruising around town.
The material provided on this web page is intended for informational purposes only and may not be applicable in your country, region, or city. It is subject to change and may be updated without notice.