You help keep communities moving
We're finding new ways to support you.
Drivers and delivery people like you are working hard to keep communities running. You deserve strong support—from your communities, from your government, and from Uber. We’re finding new ways to increase the support you receive, including working with government officials to help you get access to financial relief for lost earnings you may be eligible for, and providing you with access to more opportunities to earn.
Driver requirements details
There are a few minimum requirements to meet before you can sign up to drive with Uber:
- Meet the minimum age to drive in your city
- Have at least one year of licensed driving experience in the US (3 years if you are under 23 years old)
- Have a valid US driver’s license
- Use an eligible 4-door vehicle
For your next step, share the following documentation:
- A valid US driver’s license
- Proof of residency in your city, state, or province
- Proof of vehicle insurance if you plan to drive your own car
- A driver profile photo
- Must be a forward-facing, centered photo including the driver’s full face and top of shoulders, with no sunglasses
- Must be a photo only of the driver with no other subject in the frame, well-lit, and in focus; it cannot be a driver’s license photo or other printed photograph
After signing up, you can complete a screening online. It will review your driving record and criminal history.
It's easy to get started
1. Sign up in minutes
Tell us about yourself and your car. Vehicle requirements vary by region, so we’ll show you what’s needed.
2. Share required documents
We’ll need copies of your license, registration, proof of insurance, vehicle inspection and some information for a screening.
3. Get the app and go
Once you’re on the platform, simply log in to the app and start earning money.
Become an Uber Black Driver
- What Do I Need To Become an Uber Black Driver in New Orleans?
- An active limo CPNC number for your vehicle
- A limo CPNC operator’s permit
- An active Uber account - LA vehicle registration, Class A-D driver’s license, and commercial insurance required to activate account
- Complete an UberBlack background check
- How Do I Get a Limo CPNS (Certificates of Public Necessity) Number?
- You can find the complete CPNC application instructions online at the City of NO One Stop Shop: t.uber.com/onestop
- The application needs to be signed and notarized. It can be found:
- In-Person: NOLA Taxicab & For Hire Bureau, located on the 7th Floor of City Hall OR
- Online at t.uber.com/cpnc and then printed, submitted to the NOLA Taxicab & For Hire Bureau
- CPNC Number Application Requirements:
- CPNC Application (signed and notarized)
- An Entergy bill to prove residence in the * Greater New Orleans region for at least 6 months prior to the date of the application.
- Business plan - Sample Template: http://t.uber.com/businesspnola
- Letters of commitment from at least three prospective clients
- Applications are collected once per quarter
- Three weeks after the application deadline there will be a hearing to determine who will be awarded CPNC numbers. Please note: zero CPNC numbers were awarded last quarter. Uber does not have visibility into how many CPNC numbers will be issued going forward.
- If you are awarded a CPNC number at the hearing, you will be notified that you have 90 days to activate it.
- How Do I Activate My CPNC Number?
Activating your CPNC number is a 22 step process. Here are the main pieces of documentation that need to be obtained or completed:
- Commercial Driver’s License or Chauffeur's License
- Limo CPNC Operator’s Permit:
- Complete Operator’s permit application at NOLA Taxicab & For Hire Bureau
- Background check within 1 year and drug test within 3 months
- Submit CDL or Chauffeur’s license, MVR, proof of residency, and an Employment/Line Letter
- Limo test (scheduled through NOLA Taxicab & For Hire Bureau)
- Defensive Driving certificate Online class at Metro Safety: www.metrosafety.org OR Victor Manning Driving School: t.uber.com/defensivedriving
- $40 issuance fee
- Fidelity Bond
- Commercial Insurance
- New Orleans Occupational License
- Vehicle Registration
- Approved vehicle list
- LM vehicle stickers with your CPNC number
- LM license plates (front and back) - provided by the Office of Motor Vehicles
- Vehicle inspection (scheduled through NOLA Taxicab & For Hire Bureau)
- $100 activation fee
- Occupational License:
- Complete Occupational License Application at New Orleans Revenue Department or online at http://www.nola.gov/onestop/
- Driver’s license
- $50 License Fee
- After you have activated your CPNC number and obtain your operator’s permit, you can go to partners.uber.com and signup to be an UberBLACK Partner.
More ways to earn
Grab your bike, scooter, or car and boost your earnings by making deliveries with Uber. Enjoy a flexible schedule and quick earning potential all while cruising around town.
The material provided on this web page is intended for informational purposes only and may not be applicable in your country, region, or city. It is subject to change and may be updated without notice.