Skip to main content

Tell us your location

Not in Washington D.C.? Please enter your location to help us display the correct information for your area.

Driving in Portland

Local regulations and testing

Hit the road whenever you're ready - just make sure you’re following all of the rules and regulations.

Items for your vehicle

Trade dress: You need trade dress in the form of a "U" sticker. You can get this at your vehicle inspection or at the Uber Greenlight Hub.

Hands-free phone mount: You must use a hands-free phone mount. You will receive a free phone mount at the vehicle inspection.

First aid kit: First aid kits will be available at your vehicle inspection.

Fire extinguisher: Fire extinguishers will be available at your vehicle inspection.

Insurance: Print a physical copy of your insurance here.

Portland business license: Get your free Portland business license and add it to your Uber partner account. Make sure to keep your proof of registration with you when you are online. You can print a "Certificate of Compliance" by logging into your City of Portland account.

Permits: The City of Portland requires driver-partners to obtain a physical Portland TNC For-Hire permit. The City of Portland will automatically generate a permit for a driver-partner after they are approved on the Uber platform. Failure to display the Portland driver permit is a Class D violation subject to penalties provided in Chapter 16.40.930 of the Private For-Hire Transportation Regulations. Uber drivers must pick up their permits from the Portland GLH within 30-days of when they have been approved by the City of Portland.

Portland Bureau of Transportation’s (PBOT) crash report requirements

Portland regulations require TNC drivers to file crash reports within 24 hours of a vehicle accident. You will need to report it if the accident is listed reportable under Oregon law and occurs when the TNC driver is providing TNC services.

Here is the list of accidents reportable under Oregon law:

  • Damage to any vehicle that is over $2,500 (even if your vehicle was the only one in the crash)
  • Any vehicle that is towed from the scene
  • An accident resulting in injury or death
  • Damage to anyone’s property other than a vehicle involved in this accident is more than $2,500

You can learn more on the Accident Reporting and Responsibilities page at

To help with this process, PBOT has created a new link on their website to file a crash report. You can find the website at and click “File a Vehicle Crash Report” at the bottom left of the page.

City of Vancouver business license requirements

The city of Vancouver requires each person or entity conducting business in the city limits obtain a city business license. Vancouver offers an exemption from paying the city business license fees if the business is qualified for one of the city’s nonprofit or other exemption criteria—e.g. estimates generating less than $12,000 in annual gross receipts in the city. (As of March 16, 2017, the city stopped accepting Determination of Exemption Checklist forms to claim an exemption from the business license and associated fees.)

The city is partnered with the Washington State Business Licensing Service (BLS) for the handling of its city business licenses—including those that are exempt from paying city business license fees. Directions to apply for the license online or on paper can be found here. For assistance with the application process, please contact BLS at 800-451-7985 or email

Note: If you estimate generating less than $12,000 in average annual gross receipts in Vancouver city limits, you can select to be exempt from city business license fees when completing the City Addendum portion of the application. You will still be charged a non-refundable state application fee (currently $19).

Ready to make money? Sign up and start driving

Sign up now