As of April 1, 2019, we are not accepting new for-hire vehicle driver sign-ups in New York City, due in part to new TLC regulations.
New Uber Black requirements
Vehicles must be a qualifying UberBlack and/or UberBlack SUV vehicle, have a black exterior with black leather or vegan leather interior, and meet the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission’s (TLC) vehicle retirement rules.
Additionally, vehicles must be 2013 or newer for now, but starting January 1, 2020, we’ll enforce a 5-year rolling minimum vehicle year (2015 or newer by 2020). Note: Some vehicle models have a higher minimum year requirement.
Find a list of approved vehicles below.
Partners must complete a minimum of 100 trips on UberX, Uber Pool, or UberXL to be eligible for Uber Black.
All Uber Black drivers must maintain a 4.85 rating or above.
Partner ratings are based on their most recent 500 rated trips. See pro tips on how to improve your rating below.
- Access for high ratings: To reward our top-rated partners, only partners with a 4.85 rating or above in an Uber Black qualified vehicle will be eligible to drive with Uber Black
- Flexibility to use different Uber products: Uber Black partners will have the option to accept only Uber Black trips or UberX, UberPOOL, and/or UberXL trips in addition to Uber Black trips
- More demand from riders: With fewer partners who will qualify to drive Uber Black, eligible Uber Black partners may expect an increased demand for trips
Your account must be in good standing, and any abuse of the partner rating system could impact your eligibility
Partners who do not meet the new Uber Black criteria will no longer be able to take Uber Black trips and will only be dispatched UberX, UberPOOL, and/or UberXL trips until their rating is 4.85 or above.
How your rating is calculated
Your rating is an average of your most recent 500 trips
- This applies to all trips (e.g. UberX, Uber Pool, UberXL, Uber Black, and Uber SUV)
- Canceled trips do not count towards your rating
More high-rated trips help improve your rating
- Since your rating is an average of your last 500 trips, the more 5-star trips you do, the more your rating will go up
Drive Uber Black
How to qualify
Meet Uber Black criteria
If you meet the vehicle, trip count, and 4.85 rating criteria for Uber Black, you will have the option in your Uber partner app to receive Uber Black trips.
Drive when you want
When you’re online you can choose to get dispatched all Uber Black trips. Or you can also accept UberX, Uber Pool, and/or UberXL trips.
Maintain a 4.85 rating
To be able to continue to drive Uber Black, partners will need to maintain a 4.85 or above rating. If your rating falls below 4.85 it will be reassessed after your next 50 trips for re-qualification.
Your Uber Black status
Understanding your rating
Your rating is based on your most recent 500 trips, so it will change as you do more trips. Check out our Uber Black Guide for pro tips on how to get your rating up.
If your rating falls below 4.85 after gaining eligibility, you will have the chance to regain access to Uber Black. After every 50 trips completed, ineligible partners will have their rating reassessed. If your rating (still based on their last 500 trips) is 4.85 or above, you will be eligible again.