Drive Uber Black in New Jersey
Uber Black matches riders with top-rated partners driving luxury vehicles for a higher price. Whether for a business meeting or a special night out, riders rely on Uber Black for a 5-star experience.
- Access for high ratings: To reward our top-rated partners, only partners with a 4.85 rating or above in an Uber Black qualified vehicle will be eligible to drive with Uber Black
- Flexibility to use different Uber products: Uber Black partners will have the option to accept only Uber Black trips or UberX, UberPOOL, and/or UberXL trips in addition to Uber Black trips
- More demand from riders: With fewer partners who will qualify to drive Uber Black, eligible Uber Black partners may expect an increased demand for trips
Your account must be in good standing, and any abuse of the partner rating system could impact your eligibility
Partners who do not meet the new Uber Black criteria will no longer be able to take Uber Black trips and will only be dispatched UberX, UberPOOL, and/or UberXL trips until their rating is 4.85 or above.
New Uber Black requirements
Vehicles must be a qualifying UberBlack and/or UberBlack SUV vehicle, have a black exterior with black leather or vegan leather interior, and have New Jersey Limousine plates.
Additionally, vehicles must be 2013 or newer for now, but starting January 1, 2020, we’ll enforce a 5-year rolling minimum vehicle year (2015 or newer by 2020). Note: Some vehicle models have a higher minimum year requirement.
Find a list of approved vehicles below.
Partners must complete a minimum of 100 total trips on UberX, Pool, or UberXL to be eligible to drive with Uber Black.
All drivers who wish to use Uber Black must maintain a 4.85 rating or above.
Partner ratings are based on your most recent 500 rated trips. See our pro tips for how to improve your rating below.
How your rating is calculated
Your rating is an average of your most recent 500 trips
- This applies to all trips (e.g. UberX, Pool, UberXL, Black, and Black SUV)
- Canceled trips do not count towards your rating
More high-rated trips help improve your rating
- Since your rating is an average of your last 500 trips, the more 5-star trips you do, the more your rating will go up
- Your Uber Black eligibility will be reassessed every 24 hours, so if your rating reaches 4.85 or above, you’ll be back driving Uber Black within 24 hours
Your Uber Black status
Understanding your rating
If your rating drops below 4.85:
You will receive a notification once your rating falls below 4.85. You will be allowed 50 trips to bring your rating back up to 4.85 before you will no longer be eligible for Uber Black. If you do not raise your rating within 50 trips, you will become ineligible for Uber Black trips
Your Uber Black eligibility will be reassessed every 24 hours, so if your rating reaches 4.85 or above, you’ll be able to drive Uber Black again (as long as you meet the other requirements). Every 5-star trip you do will help your rating go up!