- 15-year-old vehicle or newer
- 4-door vehicle
- Good condition with no cosmetic damage
- No commercial branding
- Pass a vehicle inspection (only if you have an out-of-state vehicle)
Uber accepts both official and temporary registration documents. The vehicle does not need to be registered in your name to qualify.
All partners must maintain their own insurance policy in accordance with state and local laws. In addition, Uber maintains automobile liability insurance on behalf of all U.S. partners.
Vehicle options in Boone
Most newer cars qualify to drive with uberX, the most popular vehicle option for riders.
- 4-door vehicle with independently opening passenger doors
- Have 5 factory-installed seats and seat belts
- Working windows and air conditioning
- No vans, box trucks, or similar vehicles
- No taxi cabs, government cars, or other marked vehicles
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
- No aftermarket seating modifications, such as installed seats, seat belts, or BedRyder systems
License plate placard
The North Carolina legislature passed a new law that requires all rideshare drivers to display their license plate number from the front of their vehicle beginning October 1, 2019.
This requirement is meant to help riders match the license plate number before entering your vehicle to help create safer experiences for everyone. All new and existing Uber driver-partners will receive a physical placard to their mailing address.
If you haven’t received your license plate placard, consider following the instructions below to be in compliance:
Print the temporary placard here
Using a permanent marker, write your license plate number in large font
Tape the temporary placard on the passenger side, bottom right corner of your front windshield alongside your Uber decal. Ensure the license number faces outward.
If you've recently added a new vehicle, or previously requested a license plate placard but it hasn't arrived, request a new one here.
The placard with corresponding license plate number should be displayed on every vehicle that you use to drive with Uber.