Tablet Installation Instructions
Sample In-Car Rider Experience
Designed to help drivers earn more for the same number of trips.
Learn more below.
- How much does the in-car tablet cost?
In-car tablets are free for eligible drivers. Uber provides all hardware and LTE data. Simply request a tablet so you can start earning more from ads. If in the future you want to stop using the tablet, Uber will require you to return it using a free shipping label we will provide. Should you fail to return the tablet within 2 weeks, Uber reserves the right to invoice you for the full cost of the tablet, accessories, and shipping.
- How much more could I expect to earn?
The tablet displays a live map and other content for your rider, with ads mixed in. You’ll earn extra income whenever third-party ads are shown on your tablet. Drivers who signed up during the pilot in Los Angeles earned an average of $10 for every 100 trips with the tablet active, and some earned more than $40 per month. The more trips you complete, the more you can earn. Drivers also saw their overall tips increase by nearly 10% on trips with the tablet active due to repeated tip reminders throughout the trip and the ability for the rider to tip directly on the tablet.
- Who is eligible to sign up for an in-car tablet?
Drivers who receive a free in-car tablet must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be an Uber Pro Diamond or Platinum status member.
- Complete an average of 300 rides per month
- Maintain a 4.8 minimum rating
- Have been driving on Uber for at least 1 year
- Drive a vehicle with an adjustable headrest and a USB charging port the tablet can be plugged into
- How long does shipping take?
Shipping usually takes 7-10 days, although it can take up to 2 weeks in some cases. Tablets will be shipped to the address of your choice.
- How do I install the in-car tablet?
Drivers can easily install the tablet by strapping it to the rear of the front passenger seat headrest. Installation takes less than 5 minutes, there is no damage risk to your vehicle and you can easily remove & reinstall the tablet as needed.
Steps for installation:
- Strap the tablet to the rear of the front passenger seat. Plug the charging cable into one of the vehicle’s USB ports.
- Press the power button and wait about a minute for the tablet to self-upload the relevant software. You do not need to tap or click anything while this is underway.
- Once the homepage appears with the Uber logo, the installation is complete. The tablet will begin to display personalized content to the rider on your next Uber trip, including a welcome screen, trip status, driver tip reminders and relevant advertisements.
When not on an Uber trip, the tablet will display the homepage with the Uber logo. Don’t worry, the tablet is still working properly!
If the tablet does not display the Uber homepage after startup, please try restarting the tablet. Press firmly on the power button for 5-10 seconds to turn the tablet off, then press the power button again to restart the tablet. The Uber homepage should automatically appear after the tablet restarts. For assistance, contact our support team within your Driver app.
- How can I check my in-car tablet earnings?
Track your earnings and tablet-related tips from the in-car tablet page within the Account section of the Uber app. Earnings are automatically paid out on a weekly basis.
- What content will be shown on the tablet?
Riders will be shown helpful information like a personalized welcome screen and a live map of their trip status. They will also have the option to tip drivers directly from the tablet. A mix of personalized advertisements based on their trip destination are shown throughout the trip, similar to the ads they see in the Uber app. All non-Uber advertisements follow the Uber Global Advertising Content Policy Guidelines and must follow the Global Advertising Targeting Policy. Please note that the tablet will arrive pre-installed with Uber-specific settings and cannot be used for personal needs..
- How do I return my in-car tablet?
Drivers can return their tablets at any time for free. For assistance, contact our support team within your Driver app.
Introducing new marketing features to grow your business this holiday season
How Uber Serves Over 40 Million Reads Per Second from Online Storage Using an Integrated Cache
Cinnamon Auto-Tuner: Adaptive Concurrency in the Wild
Building Scalable, Real-Time Chat to Improve Customer Experience