*Must complete trips within 90 days of commencing signing up. See eligible cities and additional terms below.
You can drive with Uber even if you don't own a car. Here’s what you need to do:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have access to a vehicle that meets Uber's vehicle requirements
- Hold a valid full driver’s licence in your state or territory
- Have held a full driver’s licence in any Australian state or territory for at least 12 months (exceptions apply in certain states and territories)
- Provide all the necessary documents required in your state or territory
- Be listed as an insured driver for the vehicle you plan to drive
If you don't have access to a vehicle that meets Uber's requirements, you can rent one from one of our rental partners. Visit the marketplace for a range of options!
Before hitting the road, you will need to submit the following documents:
- A valid, full driver’s licence for your state or territory
- Your passport or birth certificate
- Any other documents required in the state or territory you plan to drive in
- A driver profile photo
- Must be a forward-facing, centered photo including the driver's full face and top of shoulders, with no sunglasses
- Must be a photo only of the driver with no other subject in the frame, well-lit, and in focus. It cannot be a driver's license photo or other printed photograph
After starting the signup process, you’ll be required to pass a background check. Processes for driver-partner background checks vary by city.
It’s easy to get started
1. Sign up online
Tell us about yourself and your vehicle, if you have one. If you don’t, we may be able to connect you with a vehicle solutions provider, who could help you get one.
2. Upload your documents
We’ll need you to upload a few documents, including your driver’s licence, so we can run a background check. Once we’ve reviewed everything, you can download the Uber partner app.
3. Get a vehicle inspection
If the vehicle you plan to drive with Uber meets your city’s requirements, the next step is to arrange a vehicle inspection to confirm it is roadworthy.
Requirements vary by city. For more info, check out our city guides.
VEVO (right to work) check
It is a requirement that driver-partners using the Uber Driver app in Australia have a citizenship, residency or a visa status that allows them to work. During the signup process, a Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) check is undertaken for driver-partners who are not able to provide an Australian Passport, Australian Birth Certificate or Australian Citizenship Certificate.
How it works
During the signup process, a Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) check is undertaken for driver-partners who are not able to provide an Australian Passport, Australian Birth Certificate or Australian Citizenship Certificate, and did not have other work eligibility checks completed as part of accreditation.
In cases where a driver-partner’s right to work cannot be verified using the information they have provided, the driver-partner will be required to conduct a VEVO check independently and provide the result to us or through their state accreditation process to continue signing up.
Alternatively, if a driver-partner has received their result and believes it to be incorrect, they can provide us with an updated result that proves their entitlement to work in Australia.
Driver-partners can obtain an updated VEVO check from the Department of Immigration’s website.
FAQ: VEVO Check
- What do I need to conduct my VEVO check?
You can find more information on how to complete your VEVO check through the Department of Immigration’s online Help and Support centre.
At a minimum, you will need your passport or ImmiCard details and one of the following reference numbers:
- Transaction Reference Number (TRN)
- Visa Grant Number
- Visa Evidence Number
- Why am I receiving an error when I run my check?
You can find more information on checks resulting in an ‘error’ status through the Department of Immigration’s online Help and Support centre.
You may be required to contact the Department of Immigration if your details need updating.
- How can I provide Uber with my updated result?
You can email your updated result to us at email@example.com, using the subject line VEVO Check Result - YourEmailAddress. Please ensure that you provide the same email address that you used to create your driver-partner account so that your check can be verified.
Byron Bay vehicle requirements
In addition to the minimum requirements above, each city has its own vehicle requirements. Visit the link below for more information.
Uber Eats is a food delivery app that allows people to order food from their favourite restaurants at the tap of a button. If you are 18 years of age or older, you may be eligible to become a delivery partner with Uber Eats.
The information provided on this web page is intended for informational purposes only and may not be applicable in your country, region, or city. It is subject to change and may be updated without notice.