- Driver Guide
- Byron Bay vehicle requirements
Byron Bay vehicle requirements
Drive with Uber in Byron Bay
Does your vehicle qualify to drive with Uber? Most 4-door cars do, but requirements vary depending on the vehicle option you choose. If you don’t own a car, we may be able to connect you with a vehicle solutions provider.
Uber’s minimum requirements
All cars driving with Uber in Byron Bay must be:
- In excellent working condition
- No older than the maximum age for the Uber vehicle option chosen
- A 4-door car or passenger van
- No more than 8-seaters, including the driver’s seat
- Able to pass a pink slip inspection
- Registered and CTP-insured in New South Wales
- Free from cosmetic damage and commercial branding
Other minimum rules apply to specific vehicle options.
All vehicles driving with Uber must be covered by compulsory third party (CTP) insurance, and have at least third-party property damage insurance. To drive with uberX, you also need to be listed on the car’s property damage insurance policy, even if you are not the vehicle owner or main policyholder. UberBLACK vehicles need to be commercially insured.
Byron Bay vehicle options
Most newer cars qualify to drive with uberX, the most popular vehicle option for riders - an everyday ride at an affordable price.
- Are in excellent working condition, with no cosmetic damage
- Are registered and CTP-insured in New South Wales
- Are 10 years old or less (2008 model or newer as of 2018)
- Have 4 doors
- Seat 4-7 passengers plus the driver
- Have working windows and air conditioning
- Are able to pass a pink slip inspection
- Are not taxis, ex-driving school, ex-taxis, government, branded, or rebuilt vehicles
- No pre-2010 Ford Falcons (or similar)
Some rental vehicles may be eligible to drive with uberX.