Understanding your tax documents
What is it? Your tax summary is an Uber-generated tax document. It provides a detailed breakdown of your annual earnings and business-related expenses that may be deductible. Potential deductions may vary depending on how your business is set up. Consult with your tax professional regarding potential deductions.
Who gets it? Every driver and delivery person on the Uber app will receive a tax summary.
When is it available? Your annual tax summary will be available by January 31, 2021 on the Tax Information Tab of the Driver Dashboard.
Here’s what's included:
- Total online miles: You'll now see a yearly total of online miles logged. This includes miles spent waiting for a trip, on your way to pick up a rider or an order placed via Uber Eats, and on a trip.
- Expenses, Fees and Tax: Tax summaries include an easy-to-understand breakdown of potential tax deductions, to help you streamline the filing of your tax return.
What is it? Your 1099-K is an official IRS tax document that includes a breakdown of your annual on-trip gross earnings.
Who gets it? We'll send you a 1099-K if:
- You earned more than $20,000 in customer payments in the last year and
- You provided at least 200 rides or deliveries in the last year
- You had backup withholding applied on any payment taking place in 2019
Note: Certain states have implemented lower reporting thresholds. Therefore, you might receive a 1099-K for amounts that are below $20,000.
What is it? An official IRS tax document providing a summary of promotion, referral, and other miscellaneous payments for the year. Form 1099-NEC is not a replacement for Form 1099-MISC. Form 1099-NEC is only replacing the use of Form 1099-MISC for reporting independent contractor payments.
Who gets it? Drivers and delivery people who received $600 or more of these types of payments. There is no ride or delivery threshold to receive this document.
What is it? An official IRS tax document providing a summary of other income such as prizes, legal settlements, etc.
Who gets it? Drivers and delivery people who received at least $600 in these types of payments. There is no ride or delivery threshold to receive this document.