Here's how to get TLC plates
Step 1: Get a base letter and commercial insurance
- Visit an Uber Greenlight Hub with your vehicle documents and licenses to get a TLC base letter
- Take your base letter to a TLC insurance broker to get commercial insurance
- Want to save a trip to a Greenlight location? Head to t.uber.com/vna and we will send you a base letter and next steps
- Head to t.uber.com/vehicles to make sure we approve of the vehicle
Step 2: Return to a Greenlight Hub
Return to a Greenlight Hub bring the following documents:
- TLC Insurance (FH-1 and Certificate of Liability)
- Government-issued photo ID
- One of the following documents:
- Certificate of Title, Bill of Sale, Leasing Agreement, or DMV Registration (must submit for vehicles registered out of NY)
- Payment for Application Fees (credit card, debit card, or checking account information):
- $550 for vehicles with less than 500 miles
- $625 for vehicles over 500 miles (this cost includes a $75 inspection fee)
- Once an Uber Expert submits a Base Affirmation Form for your vehicle, you have 7 days to complete the online application.
- Watch this video for more information on the TLC LARS application process
If you are unable to upload a document you can upoad it instead on the TLC's Upload Portal here.
Step 3: Pick up your TLC plates at the DMV
The TLC will email you a Plate Letter to take to any NYC DMV to get your TLC plates. The DMV plate letter is only valid for 20 days.
- The cost of the plates will be determined by the DMV. Head to t.uber.com/nycregistration for more information
Step 4: Complete an inspection
- Request your inspection appointment by completing the Plate Notification Form through TLC UP.
- After the TLC reviews your application they will send you an inspection appointment
- Print out your appointment letter and bring it to the inspection location at: BQE TLC – 24–55 BQE West Woodside, NY 11377
- Your vehicle needs to have a Vision Zero Sticker on the windshield to pass inspection. You can obtain one at an Uber Greenlight Hub or at a TLC authorized printer
- If your vehicle is a hybrid, be sure to have 2 Green NYC stickers placed on both sides of the rear of the vehicle
- If you miss an inspection, the TLC will automatically schedule you another appointment
- If you attend the appointment and fail, please head back to the TLC inspection facility once your vehicle is ready to be inspected again. Bring the failed inspection report with you. You do not need to have a scheduled appointment
Step 5: Activate your Uber account
Return to a Greenlight Hub with the following documents:
- FH1- Insurance Card
- Certificate of Liability Insurance
(you must be listed as an insured driver)
- Commercial TLC Registration
- FHV Diamond Sticker or Inspection Report
An GLH Expert will upload your documents. Then you'll be able to download the Uber Driver app and get on the road to making money.
Already have your TLC plates?
Complete your vehicle inspection
Submit a Vehicle Plate Notification Form
Submit a Vehicle Plate Notification Form that the TLC will review.
Here's how to fill out:
- Vehicle Owner: Provide the name on the insurance policy
- Application #: This number is in the email from the TLC
- VIN #: Be sure to enter the entire number
- Plate #: Enter the TLC plate nuumber received from the DMV
Wait for your appointment letter
The TLC will send you an appointment letter with a specific time, date, and location to have your vehicle inspected.
Attend your appointment
Print your appointment letter and bring it with you to your appointment. If you don't make your appointment you may have to wait several weeks to get another one.
Get more information