You can drive with Uber even if you don't own a car. Here’s what you need to do:
- Be at least 20 years of age (21 years of age in New South Wales and Victoria)
- Have access to a vehicle that meets Uber's vehicle requirements
- Hold a valid full driver’s licence in your state or territory
- Have held a full driver’s licence in any Australian state or territory for at least 12 months
- Be a registered operator of the vehicle you plan to drive
- Provide all the necessary documents required in your state or territory
- Be listed as an insured driver for the vehicle you plan to drive
Before hitting the road, you will need to submit the following documents:
- A valid, full driver’s licence for your state or territory
- Your passport or birth certificate
- Working with Children Check registration
- Proof of vehicle insurance as required in the state or territory you plan to drive in
After starting the sign-up process, you’ll be required to pass a background check. Processes for driver-partner background checks vary by city.
It’s easy to get started
2. Get a vehicle inspection
If the vehicle you plan to drive with Uber meets your city’s requirements, the next step is to arrange a vehicle inspection to confirm it is roadworthy.
3. Complete our onboarding form
After your inspection, Uber will invite you to complete an onboarding form so we can run a background check and submit an application for your Ancillary Certificate and X-Condition.
When Uber receives both documents back, you can download the Uber driver app and start taking rides in Tasmania!
VEVO (right to work) check
It is a requirement that driver-partners using the Uber Driver app in Australia have a citizenship, residency or a visa status that allows them to work. During the signup process, a Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) check is undertaken for driver-partners who are not able to provide an Australian Passport, Australian Birth Certificate or Australian Citizenship Certificate.
How it works
During the sign-up process, a Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) check is undertaken for driver-partners who are not able to provide an Australian Passport, Australian Birth Certificate or Australian Citizenship Certificate, and did not have other work eligibility checks completed as part of accreditation.
In cases where a driver-partner’s right to work cannot be verified using the information they have provided, the driver-partner will be required to conduct a VEVO check independently and provide the result to us or through their state accreditation process to continue signing up.
Alternatively, if a driver-partner has received their result and believes it to be incorrect, they can provide us with an updated result that proves their entitlement to work in Australia.
Driver-partners can obtain an updated VEVO check from the Department of Immigration’s website.
FAQ: VEVO Check
- What do I need to conduct my VEVO check?
You can find more information on how to complete your VEVO check through the Department of Immigration’s online Help and Support centre.
At a minimum, you will need your passport or ImmiCard details and one of the following reference numbers:
- Transaction Reference Number (TRN)
- Visa Grant Number
- Visa Evidence Number
- Why am I receiving an error when I run my check?
You can find more information on checks resulting in an ‘error’ status through the Department of Immigration’s online Help and Support centre.
You may be required to contact the Department of Immigration if your details need updating.
- How can I provide Uber with my updated result?
You can email your updated result to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line VEVO Check Result - YourEmailAddress. Please ensure that you provide the same email address that you used to create your driver-partner account so that your check can be verified.
Tasmania vehicle requirements
In addition to the minimum requirements above, each city has its own vehicle requirements. Visit the link below for more information.
The information provided on this web page is intended for informational purposes only and may not be applicable in your country, region, or city. It is subject to change and may be updated without notice.