Private Hire motor insurance and Uber
Choosing the correct insurance
We know that finding private hire insurance can be complicated, but without it, you won’t be able to get a Private Hire Vehicle Licence and drive with Uber.
Delay in renewing and uploading insurance documents to your Uber account will delay your ability to get new rides.
Insurance products designed with Uber Partner Drivers in mind, including easier uploads to Uber
Uber has been working with a number of Uber selected insurance providers to develop a range of private hire insurance products to suit the needs of every Uber Partner Driver.
Delay in renewing and uploading insurance documents to your Uber account will delay your ability to get new rides. So each of these new insurance products uploads your insurance certificate to your account where you agree to data sharing.
Choosing your insurer
While you’re free to choose your insurance provider, the six below all offer automatic uploading of your insurance certificate directly to your Uber account.
This means that if you do choose to purchase an insurance policy from one of these insurance providers, you won’t need to manually upload any insurance documents to your Uber account - the selected insurance providers will take care of that for you. Tap below to learn more about these providers.
Given the impact of COVID-19 across the UK economy, our selected PHV insurance providers have a range of options to best support you during this difficult time. On top of Uber specific features and free inclusion of food/parcel delivery usage, some options include short policy terms, significant price discounts or flexible pricing for the current lower miles travelled.
For more information please contact your insurance provider to find out more about the options they have available to you.
- What type of data will be uploaded from insurance companies to Uber?
- Your private hire insurance certificate
- Insurance policy start date and time
- Insurance policy expiry date and time
- Your name
- Your email
- Your telephone number
- Your insurance policy number
- Your license plate and VIN
- What are some of the advantages of this direct uploading?
These selected insurance providers who are able to upload insurance documents directly to Uber:
- minimises issues with document uploads such as poor image quality; and
- enables faster acceptance vs manual picture upload by the Driver Partner
In order to be a Driver Partner on the Uber platform, you must provide a copy of your PHV insurance certificate to Uber.
- Do I need to submit a new insurance document every time I renew my policy?
Uber requires a valid policy at any given time when on the Uber platform. If you purchase the policy from one of the Uber selected insurance providers and agree to data sharing, the renewals will be directly uploaded to Uber by the insurance provider. If you partner with other insurance providers you will need to manually upload the document each time the policy renews.
- I cancelled my previous insurance policy and just purchased a new insurance policy from one of the Uber selected insurance providers. Will my new policy be automatically uploaded to Uber?
If you are a registered Driver Partner, then the new insurance certificate will, where you agree to data sharing, be directly sent to Uber by any of the Uber selected insurance providers you have purchased your cover from.
- Anything I should be aware of?
You will still be required to upload your insurance policy to Uber manually in the following scenarios:
- If you rent your vehicle
- If you are working under a fleet partner
- If you are a new Driver Partner uploading an insurance policy to Uber for the first time