Driving with Uber means earning on your own terms and we’re here to support you all the way. You’re in charge, but you’re not alone. Enjoy the advantages of flexible earning, alongside important worker benefits such as holiday pay, earning at least the national living wage and access to a pension.
Here’s what you need to know if you would like to start driving in London, Manchester, Birmingham and other cities in the United Kingdom.
2. Get a licence
In order to drive on the Uber app, you'll need a private hire licence from a council that Uber is licensed by. All UK private hire drivers need a licence from a licensing authority such as a council. If you don't have one, that's OK - we'll help you get started with a personalised Ignition appointment where we offer advice and support after you sign up.
3. Upload your documents
Time for some paperwork. There are a few requirements you must have:
- A valid UK driver's licence. (EU driver's licence needs to be converted to UK driver's licence before onboarding)
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Bank Statement for the bank account that will be used to receive payments from Uber, under your name or a business which you are an owner of (this is not required for the first Greenlight Hub visit, but you will need to upload it once you start earning to receive your funds)
- Driver profile photo taken at our Greenlight Hub
Required years of driving experience will vary depending on in which city you are based.
4. Get a vehicle
Which car is right for you? Make sure it meets our standards in United Kingdom, and remember that you’ll make more money if you keep your costs low.
You can still sign up even if you don't have an eligible car right now. Check out our vehicle solutions.
5. Complete the EduMe Course
This is a virtual onboarding course that helps you familiarise with the Uber app and its features. It is necessary that you complete the course. The course can be found at this link. Once you have completed the video you will be given a link to book an appointment at your local Greenlight Hub to activate your Uber Driver account.
6. Activate your account
If you've completed all the above steps, congratulations! You're ready to activate your account and start making money. Make an appointment at your local Greenlight Hub to activate your account, remember to take:
- Your Private Hire Licence (paper copy and badge)
- DVLA plastic driving licence
- National Insurance number
- Bank statement (dated within the last three months)
If you do not have a Private Hire Licence and want to drive with Uber in London, learn more about our specialised support programme, Ignition.
Register for VAT (if applicable)
It usually takes a week to complete the VAT registration process. This page walks you through the basics.
To get specific advice about your personal circumstances, you should consult a tax advisor.
Please note that this is applicable only when your turnover from your activities exceeds the VAT registration threshold.
We will keep providing you with annual tax statements to assist with your annual self assessment for income tax purposes - and we will always look for ways to make this information more helpful.
Points policy for Uber UK Drivers - How it works
To drive on the Uber app, you must not have any of the following driving offences listed below on your licence:
- United Kingdom
- Accident offences: AC10, AC20, AC30
- Disqualified driver: BA10, BA20, BA30, BA40, BA60
- Careless driving: CD40, CD50, CD60, CD70, CD71, CD80, CD90
- Reckless/dangerous driving: DD10, DD20, DD30, DD40, DD50, DD60, DD70, DD80, DD90
- Drink: DR10, DR20, DR30, DR31, DR40, DR50, DR60, DR61, DR70, DR80, DR90
- Drugs: DG10, DG40, DG60
- Insurance: IN10
- Licence offences: LC10, LC20
- Miscellaneous offences: MS50
- Special code: TT99, XX99
- Theft or unauthorised taking: UT10, UT20, UT30, UT40, UT50
- Mutual recognition codes: MR09, MR19, MR49, MR59
- Northern Ireland
- Accident offences: 5008028, 5008032, 5008031, 5008035
- Disqualified driver: 5008312
- Careless driving: 5008204, 5008208, 5008212, 4104001, 4104002
- Reckless/dangerous driving: 5008201, 5008018
- Drink: 5008126, 5008127, 5008129, 5008130, 5008132, 5008133, 5008123, 5008124, 5008142, 5008125, 5008139, 5008136
- Insurance: 5008019
- Special code: Tot Up
- Theft or unauthorised taking: 5008290, 5008295
- This policy extends to endorsements resulting from the following activities:
Aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring offences. For these offences, the codes are similar, but with the number 0 on the code changed to 2.
Causing or permitting offences. For these offences, the codes are similar, but with the number 0 on the code changed to 4.
Inciting offences. For these offences, the codes are similar, but with the number 0 on the code changed to 6.
Get more from Uber
The information provided on this web page is intended for informational purposes only and may not be applicable in your country, region or city. It is subject to change and may be updated without notice.
Opportunities by city