Uploading your documents
To drive using the Driver app, you are required to upload certain documents to get your account set up. Refer to the information below when uploading each document.
- Proof of identity
- DVLA Plastic Driving Licence
- Bank statement
- Private Hire Driver Licence / PCO Licence
- DVLA Electronic Counterpart Check Code
- Profile photo
- Insurance certificate
- Insurance Supporting Documents
- MOT test certificate
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence (PHV)
Make sure all required details are clearly visible
Ensure your document contains all required details before uploading. The entire document should be clearly visible.
Upload your driver's licence first
This will speed up the approval process when we need to cross-check your licence with other documents.
Upload one image or PDF at a time
You can go here to get more information about uploading your documents through the Driver app.
Show all four borders of the page
The photos that you submit must clearly show all four borders of the page. This is the most common reason that documents are not approved.
Relevant information should match across documents
For example, address needs to match on PHDL/PCO and DVLA Plastic Driving License. Get more details on specific documents by each individual document page below.
We typically review documents in less than 30 minutes
However, please allow up to 12 hours for our team to review your documents.
It may take up to 48 hours for your documents to be reviewed and verified.
Driver documents specifications
Scroll left and right to see what’s needed for each of the driver required documents.
Proof of identity
You need to provide us with and ID and be at least 21 years of age.
DVLA Plastic Driving Licence
You must submit an original colour image of the front of your current UK DVLA Plastic Driving Licence (this can be either a photograph or scan). We cannot approve a photocopy, print out, or black & white image. We do not accept certain driving offence codes on the platform. Please note that:
- The name must match the name on your Uber profile & Private Hire Driver Licence (PCO).
- The full address (including postcode) must match your Private Hire Driver Licence (PCO).
Bank Statement is a required document. The statement needs to be for the bank account that will be used to receive payments from Uber. It needs to be under your name or a business which you are an owner of.
Issue date, name, address, IBAN Number, sort code and account number need to be visible (some statements printed do not always have an issue date so a transaction date is fine).
Private Hire Driver Licence / PCO Licence
We require you to upload an original colour image of your current valid TfL Paper PCO. We cannot accept a photocopy, print-out or black & white image. Check your document appears on TfL's online licence checker and that all the details match. Make sure that:
- The name matches the name on your Uber profile and DVLA Plastic Driving Licence.
- The full address (including postcode) matches your DVLA Plastic Driving Licence.
- The conditions must not state: Self–employment prohibited, Restricted to work in term time (10/20 hours per week) only
DVLA Electronic Counterpart Check Code
We require you to upload a code consisting of eight letters and numbers. Instructions:
- Visit the website
- Enter your DVLA Driving Licence number, National Insurance number, postcode.
- Select “Share your licence information”.
- Take a screenshot of your code, or write it down, making sure the difference between uppercase and lowercase letters is clear.
- Upload the image so that we can generate your Electronic Counterpart.
- Make sure this code has not been used and was generated within the last 21 days.
Please note we do not accept certain driving offence codes on the platform.
All driver-partners must have an approved profile picture on their partner account. The profile photo must be taken by a member of our team at your local Green Light Hub.
Vehicle documents specifications
Scroll left and right to see what’s needed for each of the vehicle required documents.
We require you to upload a current and valid Insurance Certificate or Temporary Cover Note. Your insurance policy must cover you for Private Hire and/or for the carriage of passengers and goods for hire or reward by previous booking (or similar). We cannot accept policies covering Public Hire, Hackney Carriage or Business use of the policyholder. Please note:
- Your name must match the name on your DVLA Plastic Driving Licence.
- The vehicle registration must match your V5C Logbook and your Uber profile.
- The vehicle’s make and model must match the one on your Uber profile.
If you or the vehicle you will be using is not covered on the insurance certificate you will also need to provide us with supporting documentation.
Hire agreement or Permission letter (Insurance Supporting Documents)
You will need to provide a Hire Agreement (a vehicle rental contract from your hire company) or a Permission Letter (a letter from the vehicle owner or hire company permitting you to drive the vehicle) if your insuraceha policy states that you can drive:
- “with the Policyholder’s permission” (or similar);
- that “any driver” is entitled to drive, or that you can drive “any vehicle”;
- “Any person named on the policy schedule or… is driving… with the Policyholder’s permission”.
You may also need to upload a Taxi Fleet Permission Letter if you are driving on a Taxi Fleet Insurance Policy. Please provide the same info as above.
Vehicle schedule (Insurance Supporting Document)
You will need to upload a Vehicle Schedule if your insurace policy states that the vehicle insured is “As specified in the attached Schedule”.
Information required on this document:
- Insurance company logo
- Vehicle registration, make and model (which must match with the V5C Logbook and vehicle profile)
- Confirmation that you are covered for Private Hire
- Security code (which must match with the Insurance Certificate)
Driver schedule (Insurance Supporting Document)
You will need to upload a Driver Schedule if your insurance policy states that the person or classes of person entitled to drive is “Any person named on the policy schedule”.
Information required on this document:
- Insurance company logo
- Your name and driving licence number (matching with your DVLA Plastic Driving Licence)
- Security code (matching with your Insurance Certificate)
MOT test certificate
We require you to submit a valid MOT Certificate. MOTs for private hire vehicles are only valid for 6 months. The document will be rejected if 6 months have passed since the issue date on your MOT.
NOTE: Outside London, if your PHV licence was issued within the first year of your vehicle's life, you will not need to submit an MOT Certificate. In London, an MOT is always required after the first year of your vehicle's life, regardless of when the PHV licence was issued.
- The vehicle registration must match the one on your Uber profile.
- The vehicle make and model must match the one on your Uber profile.
- We will not accept the MOT if the word 'DANGEROUS' appears in the advisory notes.
Private Hire Vehicle Licence (PHV)
We require you to upload a valid TfL Private Hire Vehicle Licence (PHV). Check your document is valid and the details match with TfL's online licence checker
Please note that:
- The owner’s name on the document must match the one on your vehicle's V5C Logbook.
- The owner’s address on the document must match the one on your vehicle's V5C Logbook.
- The vehicle registration must match the one on your Uber profile and your vehicle's V5C Logbook.
- The vehicle make and model must match one on your Uber profile and your vehicle's V5C Logbook.
Submit the back of your PHV if any of the above don't match. It will be valid for 3 weeks. After that, you'll need to submit your new PHV as per above.
We require you to upload both pages of your vehicle Logbook (V5C). If you have recently acquired your vehicle, or the name and/or address on your Logbook do not match your PHV, we will accept the completed New Keeper Slip (section 6 of your Logbook) for a period of 2 months from the date of issue/sale or transfer. If you have a new vehicle, we can accept a Confirmation of Registration document or e-logbook for a period of 1 year from the date of first registration. Please note that:
- The vehicle keeper’s name on the document must match the name on your PHV.
- The vehicle keeper’s address on the document must match your PHV.
- The vehicle registration must match the one on your Uber profile and PHV.
- The vehicle make and model must match the one on your Uber profile and your PHV.
Complete Medical Check
We know it can be time consuming and challenging to get your Medical Check completed. Find the option most suitable for you.
- Medical check - Visit your own GP
- Call your GP to ask if they can complete the Private Hire Medical Form, check the next availability, cost and inclusion of the eye test.
- Download and print the TPH/204 medical form below and ensure the GP signs it at your visit.
- Additional info for Medical Check
If you require an additional eye test
If your GP or chosen clinic does not offer the Eye Test, please book one separately.