Please enable Javascript
Skip to main content

Get a licence in Australia

The Queensland Government requires all driver-partners using the Uber app to hold a current Booked Hire Driver Authorisation (DA) and Booked Hire Service Licence (BHSL) for their vehicle(s).

What you need to do

  • 1. Get a Driver’s Authorisation

    All driver-partners in Queensland must hold a valid Booked Hire/Taxi (BHTX) Driver’s Authorisation (DA). You’ll need to complete a medical assessment before you can submit your application in-person at a TMR branch.

  • 2. Get a Certificate of Inspection

    All vehicles must have a current Certificate of Inspection (COI) or be eligible for an exemption. To be eligible for an exemption, the vehicle must have been registered for less than 12 months.

  • 3. Get a Booked Hire Service Licence

    The TMR also requires driver-partners to hold a current Booked Hire Service licence for every vehicle they choose to drive on the Uber app. To apply, the vehicle must have a current Certificate of Inspection (COI).


The requirements may vary from city to city.

X small

Medical Check

As part of obtaining your Driver Authorisation with the Department of Transport and Main Roads you are required to complete a commercial standards medical check.

Alternatively, you can complete a medical with your GP, though the cost may differ.

Location marker
GF2, 5 Grevillea Pl, Brisbane Airport
QLD 4007
Monday - Friday 8:30am - 4:00pm
Tue Saturday Closed
Wed Sunday and public holidays closed

Location marker
Level 2, 449 Logan Road, Greenslopes
QLD 4121
Monday - Friday 8:30am - 4:00pm
Tue Saturday Closed
Wed Sunday and public holidays closed

Location marker
2/956 Gympie Rd, Chermside
QLD 4032
Mon Tuesday & Thursday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Tue Saturday Closed
Wed Sunday and public holidays closed

Location marker
4/59 Brisbane Rd, Redbank
QLD 4301
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pm
Tue Wednesday Closed
Wed Saturday, Sunday and public holidays closed

Transport Licence Code

To comply with new regulations and drive using the Uber driver app, you will be required to get a Passenger Transport Licence Code added to your NSW driver’s licence.

Apply for a Passenger Transport Licence Code

If you’re happy for Uber to submit a PTLC application to the RMS on your behalf along with a copy of your driver licence, simply complete the online form.

Getting a driver's authorisation

  • Start by completing a Driver’s Authorisation (DA) application. If you are applying for the first time, choose ‘Driver Authorisation New Application (form F2978)’. Print out the DA application form, fill it in and take it with you to get a medical assessment.

  • Submit your application in-person to the TMR, along with your medical assessment and application fee. It typically takes 2-3 weeks for this to be approved.

  • We will give you a courtesy call once your DA has been approved by TMR. If it has been over three weeks since submitting your application and you haven’t heard from us, you can contact TMR on 13 23 80.

    Once you’ve received your Driver’s Authorisation, upload it to your driver-partner profile.


  • In Queensland, you and Uber have certain legal obligations to ensure that every trip is safe and welcoming. To make sure you are aware of these obligations, you are required to complete driver safety education before you can start using the Uber driver app. It should take less than 30 minutes to complete. You can complete the driver safety education course via logging in to the Uber driver app/website.

    The safety education covers important topics such as avoiding discrimination, preventing sexual harassment, assisting riders with disability, vehicle maintenance and inspection, making sure you are fit to drive and general road safety.

  • All vehicles must have a 5-Star ANCAP rating or fall under our vehicle exemption policy to qualify for the Uber platform. Vehicles that do not meet our requirements will not be eligible to receive trip requests, and may be deleted from your account.

Getting a booked hire service licence (BHSL)

Before you apply

In order to apply for a BHSL, you first need to get a Certificate of Inspection and have the relevant class of Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP) for the vehicle you intend to drive.

Get a Certificate of Inspection

Visit our Inspections page to book an appointment and obtain your Certificate of Inspection.

Meet CTP requirements

All Vehicles must have the relevant class of CTP, as indicated below:

  • Privately held vehicle: Class 26 CTP
  • Rental of leased vehicles: Class 4 CTP

Planning to rent a vehicle? Talk to the vehicle provider to see if they include the Booked Hire Service Licence.

Apply for a BHSL

To apply for a Booked Hire Service Licence, your vehicle must have a current Certificate of Inspection (COI) and the relevant class of CTP. Refer to the TMR’s infographic here for further instructions. Once you’ve received your BHSL, upload it to your driver-partner profile

ABN and GST Registration

Driver-partners must be GST registered and provide an Australian Business Number (ABN) in order to access the Uber app. If you haven’t already, you can register for GST via the Australian Tax Office (ATO) website. Alternatively, you can do this through services like AirTax, which are free of charge.

You can provide your ABN details and confirm that you are registered for GST in the ‘Invoice Settings’ section of your Partner Dashboard. Scroll down to fill in the field marked ‘Australian Business Number (ABN)’, Company/Legal name and confirm that you are registered for GST.

Out of State Driving History

An out of state driving history is required if you have lived interstate and have not held a full New South Wales licence for twelve months (please note that some state governments will charge a fee for requesting an interstate driving history).

Uber requires:

  • The first issue date of your Australian driver licence; and
  • Previous suspensions, DUI’s or other traffic offences

Select your state/territory below to more information:

  • You can request your Victorian driving history from VicRoads online using the link below.

  • You can request your Tasmanian driving history by downloading and completing the ‘Request for Information’ form and sending it to

  • Renewed your QLD licence more than 12 months ago?

    You can request a ‘Traffic History’ online. This will show the last time your licence was renewed, as well as any penalties or disqualifications.

    QLD traffic history

    Renewed your QLD licence in the last 12 months?

    Uber will need to determine when you were first issued your licence. There are two ways to do this:

    1. Either request a ‘Licence History’ below; or
    2. Provide a photograph of your Queensland licence.
  • You can request your SA driving history using the link below.

  • You can request your ACT driving history by completing the ‘ACT Search of Records’ form and sending it to

  • You must evidence the following if previously driving in Western Australia.

    • Licence first issue date

    For the first issue date of their licence you can call 13 11 56 to request the results, which will be emailed to you shortly.

    Alternatively, you can take a photo of both sides of your driver licence to evidence the first issue date.

    • Record of Traffic Infringement Notice

    For disqualifications and penalties, you must download and fill out the 'Record of Traffic Infringement Notices' form.

Ready to submit your Driving History documents?

Before you do, make sure you have the relevant documents ready to submit. To submit your documents, you can email them to


  • Driving History document


  • Traffic History document; and
  • Photo of your QLD Licence OR Licence History document


  • Record of Traffic Infringement Notice; and
  • Licence first issue date OR provide a photo of both sides of your WA licence

Get more from Uber

  • Get support

    Let’s make every Uber trip hassle-free. Our support pages can help you set up your account, get started with the app, adjust fares and much more.

  • Contact Uber

    Got questions? Get answers. Enjoy personal support at an Uber Greenlight Hub in your city.

  • Make more money

    As well as driving passengers, you can also apply to be a delivery person on the Uber Eats platform. Find out more about how it works where you live.

  • Rewards

    Reduce your costs and take home more of what you make in your city with driver discounts and rewards from Uber’s partners.

  • Partner Protection

    Partner Protection helps protect you from the cost of accidents or life events, and is provided at no cost to all eligible independent driver-partners.


The information provided on this web page is intended for informational purposes only and may not be applicable in your country, region or city. It is subject to change and may be updated without notice.