Support for driver and delivery partners
Uber offers a support package for driver and delivery partners, helping to cover partners should something go wrong while using the Uber app.
Uber is proud to offer partner support insurance, helping cover eligible partners who are in an accident while using the Uber app, with insurance from Chubb Insurance.
Uber also offers counselling, so all drivers and delivery partners can access professional support if something happens while using the app, through an agreement with counselling provider, Converge.
This support package is offered at no additional cost to partners.
You're covered for certain personal injuries
If you're one of the many eligible¹ driver and delivery partners who use the Uber app to access flexible earning opportunities in Australia, you will be automatically covered under an insurance policy with Chubb Insurance for certain accidental injuries that arise from an on-trip accident (subject to the terms of the policy).
This includes lump sum payments for certain common injuries (broken bones), permanent disability and accidental death compensation, and reimbursement or lump sum benefits in certain events such as hospitalisation or assault.
¹ Terms, conditions and additional eligibility criteria may apply.
Cover if you can't work
Partner support insurance provides inconvenience compensation in the event that you are accidentally injured while on-trip and a doctor certifies that you are unable to work as a result.²
² Benefit of $150 per day, for up to 30 days. See policy for more details.
What are the key features of cover?
The on-trip partner support insurance policy provides cover for specific events that occur while an eligible partner is on-trip (see FAQ below for further information).
Cover includes lump sum payments for injuries (broken bones), permanent disability and accidental death, and reimbursement or lump sum cover in certain events such as hospitalisation or assault.
The key features of eligible claims are summarised below.
- Inconvenience payment (hospitalisation): A lump sum payment if you are admitted to hospital within 5 days of sustaining an injury arising from on-trip accident.
- Inconvenience payment (injury): A daily fixed sum for up to 30 days if you are deemed medically unfit by a doctor to work as a result of an on-trip accident.
- Lump sum payments for certain injuries: A lump sum payment if you suffer from certain broken bone injuries as a result of an on-trip accident (the amount depends on the injury).
- Out of pocket expenses: Reimbursement of certain non-medical expenses (such as crutches and transportation) arising from the treatment of an injury as a result of an on-trip accident (excludes vehicle / bicycle associated costs).
- Assault benefit: A lump sum payment in the event of an unprovoked on-trip assault resulting in an injury, a police report and criminal charges being laid against the perpetrator.
- Disability payments: A lump sum payment for permanent disability as a result of an on-trip accident (the amount depends on the disability).
- Childcare support: Reimbursement of the costs of a registered child care provider (if it is required) if you are permanently disabled as a result of an on-trip accident (see policy details for qualifying events).
- Death and funeral payments: A lump sum accidental death payment and reimbursement of funeral expenses to dependents or heirs as a result of an on-trip accident resulting in death.
For further details please read the coverage summary.
Counselling support when you need it
In the unforeseen event that something goes wrong while on app, partners may be eligible for up to three counselling sessions with professional counsellors through our partnership with Converge.
Why is Uber doing this?
Independent work provides flexible earning opportunities and the freedom to work when, where and how you like. While we are proud to be able to offer independent earning opportunities, we also want to be there to support our partners if things go wrong while using the Uber app.
There is no additional cost to you
This support package is offered as part of our commitment to you and the safety of all users. There’s no need to opt in and there is no additional cost to you.
Frequently asked questions
- What are the limits of coverage?
- Does this package replace my Compulsory Third Party or Motor Vehicle Insurance?
No, this insurance does not provide compulsory third party or motor vehicle insurance, nor is it a substitute for your compulsory third party or motor vehicle insurance. Please contact your insurer, broker or agent should you have any questions regarding your insurance arrangements.
- What is “on-trip”?
“On-trip” means the period from accepting a transportation or delivery request, until 15 minutes after that ride or delivery is completed or cancelled, whichever is earlier (see policy wording for exact cover information).
- Do I need to sign up?
There’s no need to sign up — all eligible partners are automatically covered by the insurance for on-trip accidents from 4pm 30 November 2018, at no additional cost to you.
- What are the eligibility requirements for partner support?
Uber partners who have an on-trip accident while delivering or driving using the Uber app under a service agreement with Rasier Pacific Pty Ltd or Portier Pacific Pty Ltd are eligible (subject to the terms of the policy). Full policy details and exclusions can be accessed below.
- Where is partner support provided?
Partner support counselling and insurance are available in Australia.
- How do I lodge an insurance claim?
If you would like to make a claim for an injury arising from an on-trip incident, report the incident through the app as soon as you can. Uber will respond to you via the app to confirm receipt of the incident and send it through to Chubb Insurance for review. Once Chubb Insurance receives your claim they will contact you within 2 business days via email or phone with further information on how to proceed.
If you have received your claim number, you can call Chubb Insurance at 1300 722 032 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm AEST. Limitation periods may apply, please read the policy for more details.
- How do I ask about counselling?
If there has been an issue while using the app, like an accident, report this to us through the app at a safe time and our Community Operations team will reach out to discuss the support we can offer.
Like most insurance policies, there are some general and cover-specific exclusions. Please read the Uber Personal Accident Group Policy Wording for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions of the cover and to decide whether this cover suits your individual needs. Any information provided is factual information only.
In addition, partner support Insurance won’t cover every eventuality, and it might not be suitable for everyone’s personal circumstances, so partners should still consider their own insurance arrangements and requirements.
Insurance is issued by Chubb Insurance Australia Ltd (ABN 23 001 642 020; AFSL 239687).
More information Download the coverage summary
Download the Uber Personal Accident Group Policy Wording