Information for driver-partners
When driving at ORD, Learn how to receive these trip requests and get in on the action.
Airport regulations for driver-partners
Per airport regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go Offline until exiting the airport area)
- We’ve instituted a special queue system at Chicago O’Hare International Airport. The queue only works within the designated, geofenced area and driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber driver app.
- Please be aware that all drivers involved in non-injury accidents occurring within or at the entrance of the O’Hare Airport TNP staging lot must head to the designated TNP accident investigation site for reporting purposes. The TNP accident investigation site is located within the helipad area. Once at the site, please stand by for the police to report the accident. The O’Hare Airport emergency number is 733-894-9111. Tap here for a map of the TNP accident investigation site.
- At all times, the following documents are required:
- Your Vehicle Emblem/TNP Chauffeur License on the passenger side dash
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield facing outward. (https://www.uber.com/us/en/drive/chicago/contact/).
- TNP Trade Dress in the passenger side of your rear window.
- Before picking up at any Chicago airports, Uber driver-partners must first complete this airport quiz.
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect Driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
- Airport signage: Please follow all rules and posted signage in the staging lot and on airport property, including signage regarding access to certain parts of airport property.
Pickups at the airport
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving O'Hare airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Uber’s technology uses a driver queue zone. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a zone. You will then be placed in a virtual queue where you will be able to receive a trip request.
The waiting area designated by the airport is located off Balmoral Ave (see map below). Additionally, there is a second waiting lot located at the intersection of Mannheim and Montrose. Upon approaching the secondary lot, ORD requires drivers to stay in the left lane of the road. This lot is to be used only in the event the primary waiting lot, located on Balmoral Ave, is full. To see both waiting lot locations, see this map, provided by ORD.
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue
- If there are no driver-partners in the zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area - outside of the zone - based on proximity and other factors
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber driver app
- You drive outside the zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel a ride (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, navigate to the selected pickup location at the airport (see map below). The pickups are located:
- Between Terminal 1 & 2 (Departures level)
- Between Terminal 2 & 3 (Departures level)
- Terminal 5 (Arrivals level)
Once you reach the pickup location, please avoid bus pickup zones, do not block the curb, and yield to emergency vehicles.
Dropoffs at the airport
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders can be dropped off at Departures. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber Driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
ORD pickup maps
1. Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule: Checking the arrivals schedule at Chicago O’Hare International Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See ORD ARRIVALS SCHEDULE.
5. Making music optional: While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!