At Uber, we see safety as one of the pillars of our services. To help assure that safety is maintained at all times, we have introduced various actions that provide safety to both our drivers and riders.
Safety screening requirements by city
There are two safety screenings that you must pass to start driving with Uber in Ottawa: a background screening and a Vulnerable Sector Check. Follow the steps below.
- Driving record screening: Motor Vehicle Records check
After finishing your profile, take a few minutes to complete a Motor Vehicle Records Check online. It will review your driving record over the past 3 years to make sure it is acceptable.
Steps to follow:
After uploading your documents, visit the local Greenlight Hub in Ottawa to start the Motor Vehicle Records (MVR) check.
Within 3 business days, the screening will be complete and we will email you the results.
- Background screening: Police Records Check
Step 1: Background screening
Each year you must complete a background screening to drive with Uber. It will check your driving record and criminal history. Do this before getting a Vulnerable Sector Check.
For your background screening, visit the local Ottawa Greenlight Hub and bring 2 pieces of ID with you:
- Your Ontario driver’s licence
One from the list below:
Credit Card or Debit Card (must have your name on the front)
Canadian Citizenship Card
Permanent Resident Card
Government Employment Card
Indian Status Card
Step 2: Vulnerable Sector Check
After your background screening, you’ll also need a one-time Vulnerable Sector Check.
1. Start online or in-person
a. Create an account on the online portal
- To get things started, you can go online and complete a Vulnerable Sector Check. Once you’re in the portal, you can create an account to begin the process.
b. Fill out the form in-person
- You will need to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check. You can download the form below or pick one up at a Police Station.
2. Follow the steps online
a. Follow the steps online
- Ensure you select the option for Level 3: Vulnerable Sector Check
- Be prepared with your Ontario Driver’s Licence and another piece of ID. Click [here] for full list of valid pieces of identification.
b. Drop it off in person
Drop off your completed form at the Ottawa Police Station, located at 2670 Queensview Drive.
Be sure to bring the following documents with you:
- 2 pieces of valid photo ID: Be prepared with your Driver’s Licence and another piece of ID. Click [here] for full list of valid pieces of identification.
- Proof of Ottawa address: if your current address is not on your Driver’s Licence please bring a phone or utility bill
Step 3: Get your results back
You can complete your Vulnerable Sector Check online or in-person for $90. Once completed, you'll receive your results back on the same or the next day.
Step 4: Upload two photos of your results
Once you receive your results by mail or email, take a clear photo of the front and backside of the Vulnerable Sector Check results and upload the two photos to your Uber profile.
To drive with Uber in Regina, you must complete an online safety screening.
- Complete the safety screening online
Once you've successfully uploaded your Driver's Licence and Certificate of Registration, you'll receive an email to complete your free safety screening. The safety screening reviews your driving record over the past 10 years as well as your criminal records.
- Regina Certificate of Approval
To obtain a certificate of approval from Regina Police Service you must first complete a Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector (VS) via their online records check portal or by visiting their office at 1717 Osler St, Regina, SK.
When completing your records check you must indicate “Rideshare” as the purpose and list “Uber Canada” as the requesting agency for your results to be shared with Uber. If requirements are met, the Regina Police Traffic Safety Unit will issue a certificate of approval.
There are two safety screenings that you must complete and pass to start driving with Uber in Saskatoon: a Driver Abstract and a Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Driving record screening: Driver abstract
Once you've successfully uploaded your Driver's Licence and Certificate of Registration, you'll receive an email to complete your Driver Abstract online for free. It will review your driving record over the past 3 years to make sure it's acceptable.
- Police background check: Criminal Record Check with the Vulnerable Sector
Visit the Saskatoon Police
You can apply in-person at the Saskatoon Police Office at 76-25th St East, Saskatoon SK. No appointment is required to complete your Criminal Record Check with the Vulnerable Sector. Once you complete your record check, you'll receive your results on the same day or in the mail in a few business days.
- You must be a current resident of Saskatoon to complete your Criminal Record Check at the 76-26th St East office.
- Bring 2 pieces of ID: one must have a valid photo and both IDs must list the same name
- To save time, you can complete the Criminal Record Check Application before visiting the Saskatoon Police
- Price: $75 (cash or debit only)
- Non-residents of Saskatoon
If you live outside of Saskatoon, you'll need to complete your Criminal Records Check at one of these RCMP offices:
Rural Route 1, 2, 3, 4, 7
Complete your police background check at:
Rural Route 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Complete your police background check at:
To drive with Uber in Windsor, you must pass a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC). To complete your VSC online or in-person, follow the steps below.
- Complete online
You can complete a Vulnerable Sector Check through the Windsor Police Service's online portal. Once you're in the portal, create an account to begin the process.
Level 3: Police Vulnerable Sector Check
When completing your VSC online, follow the steps carefully and make sure you select the option for Level 3: Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
Be prepared with your Ontario Driver's Licence and a second piece of ID. For a full list of valid pieces of identification, see the link below.
Let us know
Once you’ve submitted your VSC forms, let us know by filling out this form.
- Complete in-person
Download the form
You can download the form below or pick one up in-person at the Windsor Police Services headquarters.
Submit your VSC
Once you've completed your form, you'll need to submit it to the Windsor Police Services headquarters, located at 150 Goyeau St.
Bring your IDs
Remember to bring the following documents with you:
- 2 pieces of valid photo ID: Be prepared with your Driver's Licence and another piece of ID. Click here for a full list of valid pieces of identification.
- Proof of Windsor address: If your current address is not on your Driver's Licence please bring a phone or utility bill to verify your address.
Let us know
Once you’ve submitted your Vulnerable Sector Check forms, let us know by filling out this form.
- Upload your results
Once you receive your results, take clear photos of all pages of the Vulnerable Sector Check results and upload them to your Uber profile.
UPLOAD TO PROFILE
There are three safety screenings that you must pass to start driving with Uber in Winnipeg: a MPI Drivers Abstract, a Police Background Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, and a Child Abuse Registry application. Follow the steps below to get your Uber profile started.
- Dossier de conduite de la SAPM
- Vérification des antécédents avec vérification de l'habilitation à travailler auprès de personnes vulnérables
Each year you must complete a background screening to drive with Uber. It will check your driving record and criminal history.
Your Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Check can be completed online.
Complete the ePIC on Winnipeg Police Service's website below. The screening will take approximately 1 week to process.
- Vérification des antécédents de maltraitance envers les enfants
Complete the Adult and Child Abuse Registry Application on the Province of Manitoba's website below.
You have 90 days to submit your application after becoming an active driver.
Note: Applications can take 4-6 weeks to process. To ensure that your application is processed in time, we recommend submitting your application as early as possible.
Conduisez en toute confiance
Vous méritez de pouvoir vous rendre là où se trouvent les occasions. Rendez-vous à destination grâce à du soutien sur la route et à une technologie qui contribue à votre protection et à celle de ceux qui vous entourent.
Lignes de conduite de la communauté d'Uber
We want Uber to be enjoyable and safe for everyone. These ground rules are designed to help ensure that riders and drivers have a safe and positive experience when using the Uber platform.