Uber is continuously exploring ways to enable access to reliable transportation options via the Uber app for Massachusetts residents by building solutions and partnerships that support everyone’s ability to easily move around their communities. Through the On-Demand Paratransit Pilot with the MBTA, eligible RIDE users have access to the convenience and reliability of the Uber App.
How to join the on-demand paratransit pilot program
- Download the Uber app
If you don’t have Uber yet, download it to your iOS or Android device. Already have the Uber app? You’re all set.
- Request to join the pilot program
In order to join the pilot, you must complete this form. When completing, be sure to include the email address that is connected to your Uber account and have your RIDE ID number handy.
- Request your ride
Once your application has been processed, you will receive a welcome email from Uber with everything you need to know to get riding!
How it works
What to expect
Request your ride
Choose between the UberX, UberPool, and WAV options in the app. UberX offers riders a 4-door sedan. UberPool offers riders a low-cost, curb-to-curb shared ride in a 4-door vehicle, with up to three other people at a time. You may request an UberPool for two people, including yourself. When traveling with a service animal on UberPool, please select two seats.* WAV offers riders who travel with non-folding, motorized wheelchairs access to drivers with wheelchair accessible vehicles. Note that you can find the WAV option if you swipe to the “More” section of the Uber app.
The first $1 of UberPool trips and the first $2 of UberX and WAV trips will be charged to the payment method tied to the rider’s Uber account, and the MBTA will be covering up to an additional $40* of each fare. Anything over that amount will be automatically billed back to the rider’s payment method via the Uber app. Riders will be notified of the total amount you owe when you place your trip request.
When and where
All trips must occur between 5am and 1am in the designated service area. This area is the same as the service area for The RIDE, with the exception of Logan Airport, which is not covered.
Use the Ride Pass section of the menu to access additional program information. You can now track your remaining trips and savings, as well as reactivate your account every month through this new Ride Pass section in app. To access this section, select the menu in the top left and then select Ride Pass.
*Please note that in some cities you may be automatically charged an additional fee for selecting more than one seat. In the event you were charged for an additional seat for a service animal, please let Uber know and the additional fee will be refunded.
- When will the program be available?
- How will I know how much I’m paying?
- What do I do if I have a question or feedback to provide?
- How many rides do I get per month?
- Can I use my RIDE payment profile to pay for my Uber rides on the On-Demand Paratransit Pilot program?
- Why do I need to sign up for the pilot and then also create an account with Uber and download their app?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for this program?
- Am I able to use Uber if I am blind or low-vision?
- Will you be offering Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) as part of the pilot program?
- What are your policies as they are related to persons with disabilities?
- What is Uber’s service animal policy?
- The fares seem to fluctuate. What is this dynamic pricing?
- What is UberPool?
- Why was my trip more than $2?
- How do I know that my account has been activated?
- Where did the Popular tab go?
Please note that the MBTA reserves the right to limit or cancel this pilot program at anytime.
*The subsidized amount, number of subsidized rides, available Uber products and rider copays are determined by the MBTA. Changes to the program are at the discretion of the MBTA.