Lodge a Background Check
Partners are required to pass a criminal background check through National Crime Check (NCC). This can be done online and is usually processed within 14 days. You will receive a confirmation email and a copy of your results once your background check has been processed.
No action is required from you after lodging - NCC will supply a copy of your results to Uber. More information is available in the section below.
Background Check process overview
What you need to do
2. Provide your details, addresses and other names
Your details will be pre-populated based on your Uber profile. Check to ensure your details are correct, and fill in anything missing as necessary.
You will need to provide 5+ years worth of address history. For any addresses outside of Australia, just try to fill in as accurately as you can.
If you have previously used any other names, provide them to NCC. If you have changed your name due to marriage, changed your legal first name, removed a middle name - these all constitute name changes. Or if none, you can indicate and skip.
3. Upload proof-of-identity documents using InstantID
InstantID will ask for commonly available documents to fulfill the necessary proof-of-identity requirements. Follow its instructions to proceed.
You will be asked to take photos and/or upload previous images of your documents to InstantID.
See the quick reference guide on Proof-of-Identity for more information.Quick reference guide
What Proof-of-Identity you will need to provide
Identiy requirements overview
You need to provide 4 different forms of ID to count as having verified your identity:
- Commencement of ID document
- Primary Use in Community document
- Secondary Use in Community documents
The following section will list common documents within these categories.
For an in-depth list, please see the Quick Reference Guide.
Common Commencement of ID documents (1 required)
- Australian Passport
- Australian Visa
- Australian Birth Certificate
- Document of Identity issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (e.g. VEVO (Right to Work) Check - will be run by NCC if an international passport is provided)
Common Primary Use in Community documents (1 required)
- Australian Driver Licence
- Australian Marriage Certificate
- Overseas Passport
- Australian Photo ID Card
Common Secondary Use in Community document categories (2 required)
- Medicare Card
- Credit Card/Bank Card (Can be two bank cards; No need to be an Australian bank but name on the card must be the same)
- Student ID from Australia
- Australian Electoral Commission Enrolment
- Foreign Government Issued Documents (Name on the document must be the same)
If there are any issues with your application, please contact the National Crime Check. Their details are as follows:
Phone: 1800 080 095
To make the process quicker, please include your name, date of birth, and email address in your message to the National Crime Check.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long will it take until my Background Check is complete?
- Do I need to have all my Proof of Identity documents ready to lodge a Background Check?