Today, Uber is proud to announce a partnership with Feeding America, the largest hunger relief organization in the United States. Uber is committing the equivalent of over $1 million in cash and in-kind contributions over two years to help tackle hunger.
Hunger touches every community in the US. One in nine Americans or 37.2 million people are food-insecure, meaning that they don’t know where their next meal will come from. More than 11 million of those are children and 7 million are seniors. Feeding America reports 67% of its clients face the difficult decision of choosing between food and transportation. The lack of transport is a big factor that prevents people from accessing the food they need.
That’s why we want to help. We will use the power of Uber’s platform to help increase food access to underserved communities, get more food to food banks, and raise awareness of the issue of hunger.
At Uber we believe we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. Our platform means we’re uniquely placed to use our technology, logistics, and teams to make a positive difference in people’s lives.
Over the next two years, teams across Uber will work closely with Feeding America’s staff, volunteers and their vast network of food banks and pantries to:
- Help cover the costs of rides to connect underserved communities to pantries and grocery stores using Uber Health.
- Help get food delivered to vulnerable communities with mobility challenges.
- Partner with restaurants on the Uber Eats app to donate excess food that would otherwise go to waste.
- Support Meal Connect, Feeding America’s technological solution that gives restaurants the opportunity to donate excess food to charities.
- Address the logistical challenges inherent in moving food donations across Feeding America’s nationwide network of 200 food banks and 60,000 food pantries through Uber Freight.
- Work with Feeding America and Uber Eats restaurant partners, including Sweetgreen, on a number of campaigns with a goal of donating enough for Feeding America to provide 3 million meals.*
- Help to expand volunteering programs at Feeding America’s food banks and pantries to create new opportunities for our employees to give back to their community.
Uber is proud to stand with organizations like Feeding America that are helping to make people’s lives better in the communities we serve.
Feeding America is a nationwide network of food banks that feeds more than 40 million people through food pantries and meal programs in communities across America and leads the nation in the fight against hunger.
Giving back to the community has always been a priority at Uber. By sharing our technology, volunteering our time, and collaborating with great nonprofit partners, we are using the power of Uber’s platform to help make people’s lives better in the cities and communities we serve.
*$1 helps provide at least 10 meals secured by Feeding America on behalf of local member food banks.