1. Background screening
Each year you must complete a background screening to drive with Uber. It checks your driving record and criminal history. We will email you when it's time for your next background screening.
2. Vehicle inspection and Safety Standards Certificate
A vehicle inspection is required:
- For all partners that drive in the Kitchener-Waterloo area
- If you have not completed a vehicle inspection or uploaded a Safety Standards Certificate (SSC) to your Uber account
If you're required to complete a new vehicle inspection, you will receive an email from Uber with instructions.
3. Uber sticker
When your vehicle inspection and background screening have been approved, we will mail two Uber stickers to your mailing address.
Display the stickers. One sticker must go on the front windshield and the other must go on the back windshield. The stickers are removable and only need to be displayed when you're driving with Uber.
Need to replace your sticker?
Please see the following options to get your Uber sticker.
Option 1: Pick it up at your nearest Greenlight Spot
Option 2: Re-order in your app
- Go to the ‘Account’ tab
- Go to ‘Help’ and select ‘Signing Up’
- Go to ‘Requirements’ and select ‘Uber decal requirements’
- Click on ‘ORDER UBER DECAL’
Frequently Asked Questions
When will the ridesharing regulations in Kitchener-Waterloo begin?
Kitchener-Waterloo’s ridesharing regulations begin on December 1, 2016. To drive with Uber, you must meet the requirements before this date.
Does this apply to existing drivers?
Yes. The bylaw requirements apply to both new and existing drivers in the Kitchener-Waterloo region.
Why do I need to complete the background screening again?
Kitchener-Waterloo's ridesharing bylaw requires all Uber partners to complete a background screening once a year.
What happens if I don’t submit background screening & SSC in time?
Unfortunately, your account will lose access to ridesharing trips in the Kitchener-Waterloo area. You can regain access:
- After your SSC has been submitted and approved.
- After you have completed the background screening process and have been approved
What about insurance?
Uber purchased new ridesharing insurance covering all ridesharing rides in Ontario. The coverage will be provided by Intact Insurance and will include:
- $2 million of third party liability coverage per incident
- Statutory Ontario accident benefits
- $2 million of Uninsured Automobile Coverage
- Direct Compensation – Property Damage Coverage
- Contingent Collision and Comprehensive
- Coverage between trips
Details on this insurance coverage can be found on our blog. You can find a copy of the Certificate of Insurance in your Partner App.
As always, we are available to answer your questions, and the best way to get a fast response is by visiting help.uber.com