As of June 5, 2019, San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is requiring that all UberX, Pool, Express Pool, XL and Select rideshare pickups from Terminals 1-3 occur in the airport’s Domestic Garage.
Rules and regulations
Airport regulations for driver-partners
Per airport regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber Driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go offline until exiting the airport area)
- We’ve instituted a special system where the first vehicle in is the first one out (FIFO) at San Francisco International Airport. The FIFO system only works within the designated, geofenced area and driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber Driver app
- TNC driver-partners may wait for airport requests at either of the Airport’s TNC Waiting Lots, at anytime except 3am - 5am nightly. The first waiting lot is located at the corner of E Millbrae Ave and S McDonnell Rd. The other lot is located directly next to the Cell Phone Waiting Lot near the intersection of San Bruno Avenue and N McDonnell Rd.
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield and rear passenger windshield facing outward. The unique airport placard must be displayed beneath the front trade dress. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub.
- Driver-partners will receive the airport placard upon signup
- For Terminals 1-3, riders can be dropped off on either the Departures Level or Arrivals Level. For the International Terminal, riders can be dropped off at the center island between Zones 14 and 17.
- UberX, Pool, Express Pool, XL and Select pickups from Terminals 1-3, must occur at Level 5 of the Domestic Garage.
- Black, Black SUV, and WAV pickups are permitted to occur at the curbside of Terminals 1-3.
- International terminal pickups remain on the center island of the Departures level, in Zones 14-17.
You may be asked to show your waybill. To access it, tap the “info” button that appears in your app.
Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff
- When picking up passengers, be sure not to wait for too long of a time at the terminal. Unlike in the case of civilian drivers, airport officials will not tap on your window and ask you to move. They will write a citation, send it to Uber, and we will be forced to collect
- Please also be mindful of crosswalks at the airport. Any vehicle that stops in a crosswalk (even briefly) is liable to be cited
Pickups at the airport
How pickup requests work
How pickup requests work
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving SFO airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Uber’s technology uses a "first-in, first-out" (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone.” You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, there are two waiting lots available for TNC driver-partners. The first waiting lot is located at the corner of E Millbrae Ave and S McDonnell Rd. The other waiting lot can be found directly next to the Cell Phone Waiting Lot near the intersection of San Bruno Avenue and N McDonnell Rd.
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue.
- If there are no driver-partners in the FIFO zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area—outside of the FIFO zone—based on proximity and other factors.
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber Driver app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel multiple rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location for Terminals 1-3 is located at Level 5 of the Domestic Garage. Once you get to the garage entrance:
- The far left lane–labeled "Limo / Lyft / Uber Only"—is designated for rideshare drivers to enter the garage; the bar at the entry will be lifted and no ticket is needed
- The pickup area is on Level 5 of the garage. You can wait for your rider in any of the stalls dedicated to driver-partners; each terminal has a dedicated parking stall
- Each terminal has its own pickup zones. Zones B and C can be used for pickups from Terminal 1, Zones D and E can be used for pickups from Terminal 2, and Zones F and G can be used for pickups from Terminal 3.
International terminal pickups remain on the center island at the Departures level from Zones 14-17.
Please note that due to these changes implemented by SFO, rematch and prematch will no longer be available on airport property.
Dropoffs at the airport
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders can be dropped off at their requested terminal on the Departures Level, or on the Arrivals Level at white zones, for Terminals 1-3. For the International Terminal, riders can be dropped off at the center island between Zones 14 and 17. Be sure to leave your app on until you exit the airport property. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber Driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
SFO pickup maps
Helpful tips for airport trips
1. Getting your car ready
Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage
It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders
Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule
Checking the arrivals schedule at San Francisco International Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See SFO arrivals schedule.
5. Making music optional
While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!