Instructions for drivers
Boston Logan International Airport
When driving at BOS, Learn how to receive these trip requests and get in on the action. Some of the busiest times for pickup are Sunday afternoons through evening, Monday morning, weekday afternoons through evening.
Boston Logan Airport
Airport Regulations for driver-partners
Per airport regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below and additional rules here. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber may not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go Offline until exiting the airport area)
- We’ve instituted a special first vehicle in is the first one out (FIFO) system at Boston Logan International Airport. The FIFO system only works within the designated, geofenced area and driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber driver app.
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield and rear passenger windshield facing outward. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub.
- Before going online, have your DPU background check saved on your phone. Email the DPU and ask for an electronic copy of your certificate.
Pickups at the airport
How pickup requests work
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Uber’s technology uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone”. You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, the waiting area is located near the rental car center (see map below).
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue.
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber driver app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel multiple rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup locations at BOS are located at the places displayed below. (see map below).
Boston Logan Airport
Cancellations and request time
Rider cancellations at the airport
If a rider cancels a request at the airport, you will keep your place in line at the waiting lot. If this happens when you’re en route to pick him or her up, please return to the waiting lot immediately to avoid losing your place in line.
Driver cancellations at the airport
Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
Estimated time to request
You will see a bar at the top of your app when you enter the waiting lot at Logan Airport. This will give you an idea of how long you will need to wait for a request.
BOS pickup map
Waiting Lot and Pickup Locations
The airport has set aside a dedicated waiting lot for a request at the airport, and requires driver-partners to be in this waiting lot in order to receive requests. Click here for a more detailed map and instructions on how to drive there.
Helpful tips for airport trips
Getting your car ready
Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
Helping with luggage
It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
Identifying your riders
Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
Checking the arrivals schedule
Checking the arrivals schedule at Boston Logan International Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See BOS Arrivals Schedule.
Making music optional
While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!