There are three safety screenings that you must pass to start driving with Uber in Ottawa: a Motor Vehicle Record Check, a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, and a Vulnerable Sector Check.
Driver's licence and Certificate of Registration
You must upload a valid Driver's Licence and Certificate of Registration to your driver profile before you can get started on your screenings.
Motor Vehicle Record and Criminal Record Check
Complete online or in-person
Online: Once your Driver's Licence and Vehicle Registration is uploaded, you'll receive an email with a link to complete your two screenings. Gather two pieces of ID to complete your screening online.
In-person: To complete your background screening at a Greenlight Hub, make sure to bring 2 pieces of ID with you.
These safety screenings need to be conducted annually. When your screening is about to expire, you'll be asked to complete a new MVR and Criminal Record Check.
- At least 3 years of driving history is required
- No more than 3 minors and no more than 8 demerit points in the last 3 years
- No major violations in the last 3 years
- No suspensions other than those due to unpaid fines/medical reasons
Vulnerable Sector Check
After your background screening, you’ll also need a one-time Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC). This check costs $65 and is not covered by Uber.
- Create an account on the online portal.
- You can go online and complete a VSC. Once you're in the portal, you can create an account to begin the process.
- Follow the steps online.
- Make sure you select the option for Level 3: Vulnerable Sector Check
- Be prepared with your Ontario Driver's Licence and another piece of ID.
To complete a VSC, you'll need to fill out a form or pick one up at a Police Station.
- Once you've completed the form, drop off the form at the Ottawa Police Station located at 2670 Queensview Drive.
- Make sure you bring the following documents with you:
- 2 pieces of valid photo ID: Driver's licence and a second piece of ID
- Proof of Ottawa address: If your current address is not on your Driver's licence, please bring a phone or utility bill
If you have questions about your safety screenings, visit us at a Greenlight Hub to get support. Remember to bring any necessary documents and forms with you.