‘Tis the season to try out a new commute, because your patience with downtown traffic will soon be tested. January 11, 2019 kicks off the “Seattle Squeeze,” marked by the SR 99 viaduct closing for about 3 weeks until the new tunnel opens.
Experts expect gridlock on our roadways and Uber wants to help you prepare with our #commutesmart options.
Pitching in together
It could make a big difference if everyone avoided driving downtown alone during peak commuting hours. Here are some ways you can use Uber instead of getting behind the wheel.
- Use public transportation: From now through February 15, 2019, get $2.75 off each of your trips(up to a total of 45 trips) to or from participating transit hubs.*
- How it works:
- Tap the Payment section of your Uber app
- Enter the promo code COMMUTESMART under “Add Promo/Gift Code”
- Request rides to or from eligible transit stations
- Get a $2.75 discount automatically applied to your Uber ride each time you take a qualifying trip
- How it works:
Something to remember when you request a ride: Cars blocking bus lanes, bicycle lanes, or otherwise impeding traffic flow will be ticketed. Please be considerate of your driver and choose pickup and dropoff locations in loading zones or parking areas.
What Uber’s doing for its employees
With around 400 employees downtown, Uber wants to help keep cars off the road during the 3-week SR 99 viaduct closure. That’s why we’re offering a more flexible work-from-home policy during this time for everyone in our Uber Seattle offices.
If you find yourself in a jam, take a deep breath, keep calm, and #commutesmart with Uber. For more information on upcoming downtown construction projects, go to seattletraffic.org.