On July 1, 2019, a new state law addressing distracted driving went into effect in Illinois. As part of this new law, texting while operating a vehicle will be made a primary offense. Because driving with Uber does require the use of your phone while out on the road, here’s a closer look at what the new state law no longer allows and how this could apply to you.
The following actions are now prohibited while driving:
- Holding a phone in a handheld manner in work or school zones
- Writing, sending, or reading any text-based communication (excluding navigation and text-to-voice audio)
As of July 1, 2019, violators could face citations and fines for texting.
According to the new state law, the following actions are not prohibited:
- Use of a phone mount
- Use of a GPS or mapping app (when mounted)
- Use of a Bluetooth device or headset
- Use of a phone for emergency assistance;
- Use of a phone while parked on the shoulder of a roadway
- Use of a phone on the roadway if the normal flow of traffic has stopped or obstructed and you have your vehicle in park or neutral
- A driver using a cell phone which has a single button to start or stop a call.
In addition to utilizing a phone mount and wireless headset, you can communicate with riders within the Uber Driver app either hands-free or with one tap.
Incoming messaging from riders sent through the app will be read aloud when voice navigation is enabled. You can then respond with a quick tap of a “thumbs up” button.
Using a phone mount can help you stay “hands-free” while behind the wheel, which Uber promotes.
We’ve partnered with Bracketron, which offers phone mounts at 60% off regular prices with promo code CHICAGO19.*
*Terms and conditions: The 60% off offer applies to regularly-priced Uber edition phone mounts only and is only valid with use of code CHICAGO19 at checkout. Chargers and cables are not eligible for discount. Mount is being sold by Bracketron, a third party. Uber is not responsible for third party offers, products or services or for the terms and conditions (including financial terms) under which those products or services are offered. Offer valid while supplies last. Limit 2 uses of code per customer. Offer does not apply to applicable taxes (if any) or shipping and handling charges (if any). Offer subject to change.