Airport trips work a bit differently than typical trip requests. Learn more about driving with Uber at Melbourne Airport.
Register to complete trips from Melbourne Airport
How to accept trips
1. Enter the virtual queue
To place yourself in the virtual queue, head to the Uber holding area shown in your Driver App. The holding area is the only location where driver-partners can wait for trip requests at the airport.
2. Accept a trip request and head to the pickup area
Once you are at the front of the queue, you will receive the next available trip request. In order to meet your rider, follow the navigation to the appropriate pickup location.
Pickup locations will vary depending on which product your rider has requested and which terminal your rider has requested from.
Terminals 1, 2 & 3
For riders requesting from the main terminals at MEL, the Uber pickup area is in Lane 1, directly in front of Terminal 2.
The new pickup area is divided into three Uber Zones:
- Zone B is for all UberX pickups.
- Zone A and Zone C, located at either end of the pickup area, are for all other ride options — including Premier, Comfort and UberXL.
For riders requesting any product from Terminal 4 at MEL, the Uber pickup area is on the ground level of the Transport Hub.
3. Locate your rider and exit the airport Once your rider is in your car, you can begin the trip just as you normally would, following the signs to exit the airport.
Smoother UberX Pickups with PIN
How PIN works at MEL
How PIN pickups work for UberX
For riders requesting from the main terminals at MEL, the Uber pickup area will be in Lane 1, directly in front of Terminal 2 at Uber Zone B.
Once you reach the top of the UberX driver queue, you will receive an alert, and your Driver app’s navigation will guide you to the pickup area. At the pickup area, follow the signs for Uber Zone B, the PIN pickup zone. Once there:
- Join the queue of UberX driver-partners. Pull forward and wait in a designated parking space for a rider to be directed to your vehicle.
- Before entering your vehicle, the rider will provide you with a unique PIN code – tap ‘Enter rider PIN’ on the bottom of your Driver app to input this code.
- Once the PIN is confirmed, you will see the trip information. The rider can enter your vehicle and you can then start your trip.
PIN is currently live at Terminals 1, 2 & 3 between the hours of 7am and 12am (midnight) on weekdays, and for reduced hours on weekends. At all other times, you’ll receive UberX trip requests in the usual way.
Helpful info for PIN pickups
- It’s important that the PIN code is confirmed before the rider(s) enter your vehicle.
- In order to unlock access to the PIN feature, you’ll need the latest version of the Uber Driver app, so we recommend updating your app.
- At this time, the PIN feature is exclusive to UberX trip requests from Terminals 1, 2 & 3.
- For UberX pickups at the new pickup area at Terminal 4, you’ll receive trip requests in the usual way.
The app will guide you to the designated pick-up location.
- When is the best time to drive at the airport?
Information on flight arrivals is available on the feed in your Driver App and by tapping the airport marker on the map. Be in the right place at the right time by knowing when the most flights arrive each day.
- How does short trip protection work?
If you receive a short trip request from MEL, we'll let you know in the app before you accept that the trip is eligible for Priority Queue Access. With Priority Queue Access, you can jump to the front of the virtual queue if you rejoin within six hours. To be eligible for Priority Queue Access, you must be waiting in the airport queue for at least 15 minutes. Priority Queue Access is valid for 6 hours at the same airport even if you go offline or do other trips before returning to the airport.
- How do I register for Airport trips?
- Do I need VHA access for Uber Premier pickups?
Uber Premier pickups occur at the Uber Pickup Zones and not at the VHA area. You do not need to be registered for VHA access with Melbourne Airport to receive pick-up requests. If you accept an Uber Premier trip request, the Driver App will navigate you to the appropriate pickup location.
- What if my rider cancels when I am on my way to pick them up?
If you get a rider cancellation when you’re already on your way to the terminals, you will be eligible to receive another trip request. If you do not receive a trip request shortly, you will need to return to the waiting lot to wait for the next available trip request.