Does your vehicle qualify to drive with Uber? Most 4-door cars do, but requirements vary depending on the vehicle option you choose.
All cars driving with Uber in Tasmania must be:
- In excellent working condition
- No older than the maximum age for the Uber vehicle option chosen
- A 4-door car or passenger van
- No more than 8-seats, including the driver’s seat
- Able to pass a vehicle inspection
- Comprehensive or third party property. You must be listed as an insured driver on the insurance policy and policy expiration date must be visible on the document you provide)
- Free from cosmetic damage (e.g. scuff marks, scratches and indentations such as hail damage)
- Free from commercial branding (e.g. graphics or wraps greater than 20cm by 20cm)
Other minimum rules apply to specific vehicle options.
From October 1 2019, must have a 5 star ANCAP rating, or fall under our vehicle exemption policy
*Uber reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to amend this list of vehicle requirements and/or accepted vehicles at any time.
Due to ridesharing regulations in Tasmania an Uber driver-partner can only drive a vehicle that they are a registered operator of.
The Department of State Growth has developed an exemption from duties in order to include a driver-partner as a registered operator of a vehicle owned by someone else.
This will be provided to you if necessary as you complete the signup process.
All vehicles driving with Uber must be covered by compulsory third party (CTP) insurance, and have at least third-party property damage insurance. To drive with UberX, you also need to be listed on the car’s property damage insurance policy, even if you are not the vehicle owner or main policyholder.
Most newer cars qualify to drive with UberX, the most popular vehicle option for riders - an everyday ride at an affordable price.
- Are in excellent working condition, with no cosmetic damage
- Are registered and CTP-insured in Tasmania
- Are 10 years old or less
- Have 4 doors
- Seat 4-7 passengers plus the driver
- Have working windows and air conditioning
- Are able to pass a vehicle inspection
- Are not taxis, ex-driving school, government, branded or rebuilt vehicles