Information for drivers
Learn how trips work at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.
Notice: New staging at CLE airport
Starting on Friday, November 6 the current TNC staging lot on Old Grayton Road will be closed until further notice. Drivers will now utilize the cell phone lot located off Jackson Road just east of the airport.
Airport Regulations for driver-partners
Per Airport regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go Offline until exiting the airport area)
- We’ve instituted a special first vehicle in is the first one out (FIFO) system at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. The FIFO system only works within the designated, geofenced area and driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber driver app.
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect Driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
Puntos de partida en el aeropuerto
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Uber’s technology uses a queue at airports such as CLE. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the cell phone lot, which is serving as the designated waiting area as of November 5, 2020. You will then be placed in a virtual queue.
Some things to know about queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue
- If there are no driver-partners in the zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area - outside of the zone - based on proximity and other factors. You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber driver app
- You drive outside the zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel multiple rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Riders can get picked up and dropped off curbside at both the upper and lower terminals. Once you accept a trip request, the app will let you know at which door your rider is waiting. See the map below for more details.
Dropoffs at the airport
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport. Based on the operating agreement with the airport, as of February 18, riders can be dropped off at the terminal curb.
See the map below for more details.
When you drop off a rider at the airport, you may receive a new request quickly instead of having to return to the waiting lot and enter the queue. This feature is called Re-Match. If you don’t receive a request immediately after your dropoff, this means there are no Re-Match trips available and you should go to the waiting lot if you would like to receive another airport request.
1. Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule: Checking the arrivals schedule at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See CLE ARRIVALS SCHEDULE.
5. Making music optional: While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!