When driving at DCA, learn how to receive these trip requests and get in on the action.
Per Airport regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving DCA airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Uber’s technology uses a first-in,-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone.” You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, the waiting area is located at 2799 S Eads St, Arlington, VA 22202. Please enter the lot from S Eads Street (see map below).
If the TNC lot is full, you will need to leave airport property to receive requests. Waiting on the main road—or in the surrounding neighborhoods—to enter the lot is strictly prohibited. You can check to see if the staging lot queue is full in your app.
When exiting the lot, left turns only are permitted in an effort to reduce traffic congestion along S Eads St.
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
At Terminal A, riders will be waiting for you curbside. Always check that your rider’s first name matches what’s in the app.
At Terminal B/C, riders can get picked up at doors 3 or 6 of the upper Departures (Ticketing/Check In) level or doors 6, 7, or 8 of the lower Arrivals level. Once you accept a trip request, you’ll get a notification letting you know the pickup location where your rider will be waiting. See the map below for more details.
Rental Car Garage
Please note that there is a dedicated pick up and drop off area located across from the Garage A/Rental Car Bus Stop located on National Avenue. Pick up and drop off inside the rental car area is not permitted.
Airport Cancellation Protection is a feature designed to save you time at the airport. With Airport Cancellation Protection, if you get a rider cancellation when you’re already on your way to the terminals, you will be eligible to receive another trip request without returning to the waiting lot.
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders can be dropped off on the Departures level. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber Driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
Uber partners may wait for ride requests at the designated staging lot only. You will not receive an airport request outside of this lot (and may be issued a citation).
Follow the signs and enter the Waiting Lot. Keep in mind:
1. Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule: Checking the arrivals schedule at Reagan National Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest.
5. Making music optional: While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early-morning or late-night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!