Learn how trips work at PIT.
Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) requires driver-partners operating at the airport while using the Uber app remain aware of airport rules. Failure to follow these rules and regulations may result in the airport prohibiting individual driver-partners from receiving future airport trip requests.
Avoid losing airport access by following rules
To avoid losing your access to the airport, be sure to follow all Airport rules when completing airport trips. Pittsburgh International Airport has the authority to prohibit a driver-partner from receiving future airport trips. Divers-partners who do lose access are asked to reach out to Uber for additional information and not the airport directly.
Additional rules and regulations
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the Pittsburgh airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, the waiting area is located at the designated parking lot near the Gas Station on Airport Blvd. Arrive at the TNC Staging Lot by following signs to Airport Exit / Return to Terminal / Fuel. Then, make a left onto Return to Terminal Rd, drive behind the gas station, and make the first left down the sloped area to the TNC Staging Lot. A ticket is not needed to access the staging lot. Exit the lot via Gate 46 to the front of the gas station. (see map below).
At PIT, Uber’s technology uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone”. You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at PIT is located at Door 4 of the commercial curb located just past the taxi stand. To access this area, please follow the yellow signs. At Door 4, you will see signage for rideshare pickups / loading zone. Please pull all the way over to the curb, do not stop or load in the active traffic lanes, or make any illegal turns while picking up your rider. (see map below).
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders can be dropped off at their requested terminal at the public passenger dropoff curb. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
1) Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
2) Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect Driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
3) Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
4) Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
5) Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
6) Making music optional: While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!
*Please note: If there are no Uber partners in the waiting lot, it IS possible to receive a request from the airport while off airport property. It is NOT possible to receive requests while you are on airport property but not in the waiting lot.