Information for driver-partners
When driving at CHS, Learn how to receive these trip requests and get in on the action.
Airport regulations for driver-partners
Per airport regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber Driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go offline until exiting the airport area)
- We’ve instituted a special first vehicle in is the first one out (FIFO) system at the airport. The FIFO system only works within the designated, geofenced area and driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber Driver app.
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield facing outward. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal by mail by using this form.
- You may be asked to show your waybill. To access it, tap the info button that appears in your app.
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect driver-partners to follow the instructions and be respectful of the airport staff.
- Cellphone lot: Do not park in the cell phone lot, surface or deck parking areas, or any other areas on airport property. You will not receive trip requests in these areas, and doing so may result in a fine or citation, which Uber will not cover.
- Pickups: Be sure to pick up riders in only the designated rideshare pickup area. See more details below.
How pickup requests work
Pickup requests from riders leaving the airport work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Uber’s technology uses a queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a zone. You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
To enter the staging lot, head to the lot behind the Budget Car Rental, accessible via RAC Access Rd off Porsche Blvd. Drivers who leave their vehicles unattended are at risk of citation.
Some things to know about the queue
- Proximity to the terminal within the zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue. In fact, you will only receive requests if you are waiting in the designated area.
- If there are no driver-partners in the zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area—outside of the zone—based on proximity and other factors. If on airport property, however, driver-partners are prohibited from staging anywhere other than the staging zone, or risk citation.
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber Driver app
- You drive outside the zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel multiple rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at the airport is located at the designated rideshare pickup area at the left sidewalk of the commercial (outer) pickup lane just past the third covered walkway. Pickups made outside of this area could lead to citations or even restriction of access to airport trips.
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders must be dropped off using the inner departures lane. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber Driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
CHS pickup maps
Helpful tips for airport trips
1. Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule: Checking the arrivals schedule at Charleston International Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See CHS ARRIVALS SCHEDULE.
5. Making music optional: While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early—morning or late—night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!