Uber Community Impact Initiative
We know that lack of access to transportation can be a major barrier to opportunity. That’s why we provide grants to nonprofits so they can offer rides to those in need. Since 2017, this program has helped uninsured people access critical healthcare services, families experiencing homelessness get back on their feet, at-risk young adults get jobs and job training, and more.
About the program
To increase access to opportunity by partnering with nonprofits so they can provide transportation to those in need.
The one-year grant can include an in-kind donation of credits to the nonprofit, which it can then use on the Uber platform, and a cash donation to help cover administrative costs.
We’re proud to support the efforts of our Community Impact Initiative partners and work together to help ensure that everyone has equal access to pursue opportunity. Here's a small sample of the nonprofits we support. Below is a full list of all selected partners.
Top eligibility questions
- What are the eligibility requirements to apply for an Uber Community Impact Initiative grant?
For your application to be considered, your organization must meet the following requirements:
The primary mission must be to support economic empowerment for underrepresented people, including women, immigrants, and/or people of color
It must be located with programs operating in a participating city: Calgary, Canada; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Los Angeles, CA; Montreal, Canada; New York, NY; Portland, OR; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA; Toronto, Canada; Vancouver, Canada; Washington, DC
- All riders participating in the program must be at least 18 years old
- Grants will be for one year, and all rides must be used within one year from the effective date
- Rides must be used to address mobility as a barrier to opportunity
- Ride credits are distributed through our Uber for Business platform
- Your organization must support our anti-discrimination policy and be aligned with our core values of nondiscrimination
- Political or partisan events or programs are not eligible for an Uber Community Impact Initiative grant
In addition, you must be authorized to submit on behalf of the organization.
- Can the Uber Community Impact Initiative grant sponsor a political campaign?
No. Political or partisan events or programs aren’t eligible for Uber Community Impact Initiative grants.
- What other kinds of events or programs are not eligible for Uber donations?
The following aren’t able to receive funding from Uber:
- Organizations already under a current funding agreement or multiyear commitments
- Events and conferences
- Promotional merchandise
- Individual needs, including scholarships
- Labor or political organizations
- Fundraising initiatives such as galas
- Travel funds for tours, expeditions, or trips
- Rides where the intended beneficiary is under age 18
- How much can I request?
The amount of ride credits requested must be between $10,000 and $50,000. Uber ride credits are distributed through the Uber for Business platform (Central, Health, Travel, and/or Vouchers).
Additional cash donation requests are allowable up to 20% of the total ride credits donation request (though requests aren’t required to include cash donations).
The total donation request (rides plus cash) cannot exceed $60,000 per city.
Uber reserves the right to make suggestions to funding amounts based on activities proposed.
- How long does the application process take?
If your application is approved, you’ll be contacted by a member of Uber’s corporate giving team at the end of the current evaluation period. Because of the volume of funding requests we receive, we unfortunately can’t respond to all of them.