Ready to roll? Your next Uber ride may be in a fully autonomous Waymo vehicle.
Starting today in Phoenix, customers who request a ride on the Uber app may be able to catch a ride with the Waymo Driver, through our partnership with Waymo.
We’re excited to bring another innovation to the Uber experience through today’s launch. When matched with a Waymo vehicle on Uber, riders can experience a fully autonomous ride, with no human driver behind the wheel:
- How to ride with an AV: Starting today in Metro Phoenix, riders who request an UberX, Uber Green, Uber Comfort, or Uber Comfort Electric may be matched with a Waymo vehicle if the route is part of Waymo’s newly expanded operating territory—which includes Sky Harbor International Airport’s 24th St and 44th St SkyTrain locations—and a dedicated Waymo vehicle is available.
- Update your Ride Preferences: Uber customers in Phoenix who are excited about riding in an autonomous vehicle (AV) can increase their chances of being matched with an AV by opting in via the Ride Preferences section of their Uber app under Settings.
- Safety is a top priority: Safety is at the heart of what we do. That’s why we review our partners’ approaches to safety per our Safety Guidelines before they deploy and operate on the Uber network.
- Convenience built in: Before a nearby Waymo vehicle is dispatched to a customer, we’ll first give them the option to accept the ride or find another. Once the Waymo vehicle arrives, riders will be able to unlock the vehicle and start the trip—all from the familiar Uber app. If assistance is needed at any time, riders will have access to 24/7 customer support, accessible in both the Uber app and inside the Waymo vehicle.
- Make a sustainable choice: We’re committed to becoming a zero-emissions mobility platform by 2040. By helping to match riders with electric vehicles, like Waymo’s all-electric Jaguar I-PACE, we can help cut gas use, emissions per passenger, and make greener transportation options more accessible.
Today is an important step in our journey to bring safe, reliable autonomous driving technology to the Uber platform. Looking ahead, we expect that the number of human drivers and AVs on the Uber platform will continue to grow, side by side, for quite a long time as we continue to scale a hybrid, global network that combines both.
At Uber, we are building the future of transportation, which will be increasingly electric, shared, and autonomous. Welcome, Waymo! 💚