Skip to main content

Tell us your location

Please enter your nearest city name to help us display the correct information for your area

Select your language

Get authorised

New Zealand Regulations

The New Zealand government requires all driver-partners using the Uber app hold a Passenger Endorsement card and Certificate of Fitness for their vehicle(s), and download the Logmate app. Here's how you can get the required authorisations as quickly as possible.

Authorisation process overview

What you need to do


Obtain a P Endorsement

You will need to obtain a Passenger (P) Endorsement from the New Zealand Transit Authority (NZTA). Uber can assist you in applying at a Greenlight Hub location, or you can apply directly at a NZTA Agent. Once you receive your P Endorsement, upload an image of it to your Uber account.


Obtain a Certificate of Fitness & SPSL Label

The NZTA also requires drivers using the Uber app to apply for a Certificate of Fitness. You can do this at a NZTA Agent, like VTNZ, AA, or VINZ. Please apply using Uber's TSL number (0315707). You'll also need to obtain a Small Passenger Service Licence Label (SPSL Label) to display on your windshield while driving using the Uber app. See below for more information.


Download the Logmate App

The NZTA requires you to keep a record of your 'work time' using the Logmate app. 'Work time' includes time driving with the Uber app, as well as all other work-related activities subject to the work time rules.

Getting authorised

Steps in detail

Before you apply

Start by seeing a qualified medical practitioner for a medical assessment. You will need to obtain a medical certificate (DL9) to submit along with your P Endorsement application.

Apply for a P Endorsement

Uber can assist you in applying for a P endorsement, or you can apply directly at a NZTA Agent (VTNZ or AA).

The NZTA may require you to provide additional documents, such as proof of your entitlement to work in New Zealand or an International criminal history check as part of the P Endorsement application process. Refer to the section below for details.

P Endorsement additional checks

Right to work confirmation

In order to be a small passenger service driver, you need to have the right to work in New Zealand. The NZTA will confirm this as part of the P Endorsement application process, and in certain circumstances may require you to provide proof of your right to work in New Zealand.

International criminal history check

As part of the P endorsement application process, if you've lived in any one country (apart from New Zealand) for 12 months since the age of 14 you will need to provide to the NZTA a criminal history check for each country you have lived in. In many cases, Uber can help you in obtaining and submitting this documentation to the NZTA. This information is requested on your behalf once you have completed your sign-up form.

Upload to your Uber account

Once you receive your P Endorsement upload an image of it to your Uber account.

Getting a Certificate of Fitness

A Certificate of Fitness (COF) is a regular check to ensure that your vehicle meets required safety standards for carrying passengers. Go to an approved Agent, like VTNZ, AA and VINZ and provide Uber's TSL (#0315707) to have a COF issued for compliant vehicles.

Some helpful tips about obtaining a COF:
  • If you have a hatchback vehicle or station wagon, you may need to have a means to secure cargo in your boot. Cargo nets are a cost effective solution that can be purchased at auto retailers like SuperCheap Auto and Repco
  • You may need to complete a change of vehicle use form and purchase a child lock safety sticker when you get your COF

Transport Service Licence (TSL) Label

A TSL label is the label you must display in the bottom right hand corner (passenger side) of your windscreen to show you are licenced to provide small passenger services.

To drive as a driver-partner on the Uber Driver App, you can either drive under Uber’s Small Passenger Service Licence (SPSL) or your own. A SPSL is the type of TSL used for ridesharing in New Zealand.

If you do not hold your own SPSL, and you meet the requirements to drive on the Uber driver-app, Uber will provide you with a TSL Label. Visit a Greenlight hub or contact support to obtain a TSL Label. Once you have it, take a picture of your label and upload it to your Uber profile.

Regulatory requirements

On the road

Record your work time

As a holder of a P endorsement, you will need to comply will all work time related rules including recording your work time through an NZTA approved Logbook.

All driver-partners who do not hold their own Small Passenger Service licence (SPSL), must use Logmate to record their work time. This is a requirement to become active on the Uber driver-app.

Once the NZTA has approved your P endorsement application and you've obtained a Certificate of Fitness, you will receive an email from Logmate inviting you to register for an account under Rasier Operations BV (Uber).

Driver-partners who hold their own SPSL and upload the corresponding TSL label to their driver-partner account are able to use any NZTA approved logbook to record their work time.


Transport service licence label

If you meet the requirements to drive, Uber will provide you with a Transport service licence (TSL) label that you will need to display in your vehicle when you are driving using the Uber partner app, this will be mailed to you once you have completed the Signup Form.