With transport ordered directly from your smartphone and paid for automatically, Uber makes getting around your city as easy as tapping a button—literally. But are you ready to ride? Here are a few tips and things to keep in mind to make sure your ride experience, from request to drop-off, is as smooth as possible.
How to request an Uber
Have you still not taken a ride with Uber yet? Don’t worry—it’s not complicated. These are the steps you need to follow to request your first ride with Uber:
- If you haven’t already, download the Uber app to your device from the App Store or Google Play.
- Open and log into the Uber app on your device
- Type your destination into the “Where to?” section
- Select the type of vehicle you would like at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap “request” and then confirm the pickup location
- Wait for your request to be accepted by a driver and check the estimated time of arrival
- Just wait for your driver to arrive. You can check their location on the in-app map and you will be notified when they are close to the pickup location
Enable location services
In order to request your ride, you need to enable your location services on your device. Uber uses your device’s location services to make it easier to get a ride when you need one. Location data helps improve our services, including pickups, navigation, customer support, and more.
How do ETAs work?
Before a trip starts, your app provides an ETA for when your driver should arrive at your pickup location. Please note that ETA times are estimates and not guaranteed. A variety of external factors like heavy traffic or road construction can impact travel time. If the ETA you see in app is too high, return back after a few minutes to see if there is a change.
How does dynamic pricing work?
There are times when so many people are requesting rides that there aren’t enough cars on the road to help take them all. Bad weather, rush hour and special events, for instance, may cause unusually large numbers of people to request Uber rides all at the same time.
When a lot of people are requesting rides in an area at the same time, trip prices might be higher than usual. This system is called dynamic pricing and it helps to attract more drivers to the area so everyone can get a ride.
Whenever there is a price surge, you will receive a message when you go to request a ride through the app. Do you think the rates are too high? Just relax and wait a moment, the crowds and the dynamic rate will reduce within a short time.
If you want to know more about how to use Uber or how Uber works, check out our guide here.