Uber launches a limited edition free Sing-along Van option in the app
Are you looking for a way to get in the song contest mood with friends whilst riding to your watch party in one of Amsterdam’s cafés? Uber is launching a limited edition Sing-along Van to the most exciting watch-parties in Amsterdam. Get your song contest spirits high, while arriving there smoothly. On the first semi finals night of May 9th, a select number of passengers even have the chance to be matched with former contestant Jeangu Macrooy who’ll already be in the van to sing-along with you. The rides will be available on the days of the semi-finals Tuesday May 9th, Thursday May 11th and on the finale day Saturday May 13th.
On May 9th-May 13th it’s again time for the most glamorous European-wide party of the year: the songfestival. Multiple locations organize watch-parties to watch the semi’s and finale with other enthusiasts enjoying the atmosphere and a nice drink. To make sure you’re ultimately warmed up for the event and arrive there in style, Uber introduces the Sing-along Van to smoothly bring you to the parties in Amsterdam.
Uber Sing-along Van
- As a separate ride option in the app, passengers can book a Sing-along Van when they are in Amsterdam and enter one of the selected watch parties as their destination.
- The Sing-along Van product is free of charge and transports groups of max. 6 friends to party their way to the event and sing along to all time song contest hits.
- Passengers can choose their sing along song from the in-car song menu, while waving the country flag of their choice on the sound of the beat and decorating themselves with feather boas.
- During the first semi finals night, May 9th, passengers have the chance to be matched with the ultimate sing along partner – namely Jeangu Macrooy, Dutch Eurovision Songfestival participant in 2021. Jeangu will make a surprise appearance in one of the cars to boost the mood of some lucky passengers.
- The experience is free of charge for passengers while drivers still make earnings. If you feel like you got your Eurovision spirit elevated, you can as always add your tip for the driver in the app.
- Uber has also donated $10.000 worth of free rides for the MEIJT. community to facilitate people to get home safely after all the 12 points have been awarded.
“We wanted to tap into the 2023 ESC theme “United by Music” by recognizing this important cultural moment at a time when it might be more important than ever to come together. With the launch of the Sing-along Van, we wanted to create the ultimate way for the many song contest fans to get together, while having a chance to be matched with Jeangu Macrooy for a boosted sing-along experience”, says Eveline Sijbrandij, Head of the Netherlands at Uber.
Uber has partnered with MEIJT., a platform for and by the LGBTQIA+ community, who has diligently hand-picked the most popular watch parties in the city as well as carefully curated the ultimate sing-along songs for the in-car song menu.
“For many in our community, the song contest is the highlight of the year. Uber is the ultimate partner for us to get people to and from the viewing parties. In addition to selecting the locations where the viewing parties are held, we have put together the song menu in the vans based on input from our community. We are convinced that singing along with Euphoria by Loreen, Waterloo by Abba or Arcade by Duncan Laurence in the Sing-along Van is the way to prepare for the contest,” says Martijn van Veen, founder at MEIJT.
“As an artist, I like nothing better than making a connection with people through music. After my participation in the Eurovision Song Contest, I have always remained a fan. That’s why I love it all the more to make this an even bigger party together with Uber. By performing at the Sing-along Van, I can offer passengers a special experience in an intimate and cozy setting. I’m looking forward to kicking off the party!,” says Jeangu Macrooy, singer and former Eurovision contestant for the Netherlands in 2020 & 2021.
Watch parties in Amsterdam
Several cafés arrange watch parties in which you can for example also enjoy dinner, performances, after parties or second as a jury with your own score cards. This is the list of app destinations and accompanying watch parties for which you can use the Sing-along Van to get there:
- Amstel 54
- Cafe Montmartre
- Spuistraat 114
- Prik Amsterdam
- ‘t Sluisje
- Reguliersdwarsstraat 46
- Bar Blend
- Bar Blend XL queens.
- Soho Amsterdam
- Taboo Bar
- Bar Exit
- Nieuwebrugsteeg 25
- Café The Queenshead (Finals only)
How it works
The Uber Sing-along Van will be bookable via the Uber app ahead of the semi finals and finals on Tuesday May 9th, Thursday May 11th and Saturday May 13th between 18.00-21.00 on a first come first serve basis – with availability as visible in the app. Uber has also donated $10.000 worth of free rides for the MEIJT. community to facilitate people to get home safely after all the 12 points have been awarded.
Now in the Uber app you can plan your trip by public transport
5 October 2022 / Netherlands
The Perils of Migrating a Large-Scale Service at Uber
Bypassing Large Diffs in SubmitQueue
Up: Portable Microservices Ready for the Cloud
Case study: DART goes big in 30 zones