What is Uber Medics?
Many drivers have asked us how they can provide help to those who need it during the COVID-19 pandemic. That’s why we are launching Uber Medics on April 29. Uber Medics is a new product in the rider app which provides 25% cheaper rides and 15 minutes of waiting time to NHS and care home staff. Uber will not make any money from these trips, and drivers will receive the same fares on Uber Medics trips as normal Uber trips.*
*This is because Uber is paying 25% of the fare on the rider’s behalf.
How it works
All drivers in England and Wales who are under 60 years old with no underlying health conditions will be able to receive Uber Medics trips. However, if you do not wish to receive Uber Medics trips, you opt out at any time by following the steps below. Note – if you are what the NHS have deemed to be a high risk (e.g. have underlying health conditions or are above 60 years old) we highly recommend that you opt out of Uber Medics and stay at home, in line with NHS advice.
How to opt out
You can opt out of Uber Medics trips in your driving preferences hub in-app from April 29, when the product goes live. To opt out of Uber Medics, simply:
- Open ‘Trip planner’ in the driver app from the map by tapping the menu button in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Go to ‘Driving preferences’ by tapping the preferences button in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap on ‘Uber Medics’ and switch the option to ‘OFF’.
If you have not opted out of receiving Uber Medics trips you can still choose not to accept or cancel the trip in the moment (the app will show that it is an Uber Medics trip). Your confirmation or cancellation rate for Uber Medics trips will not be used to determine your eligibility for Uber Pro, premium products or any other services or benefits.
Safety and Uber Medics trips
For Uber Medics trips it is required for Uber partner drivers to:
- Wear a general protective face mask while driving
- Wear disposable gloves while driving
- Have and use hand sanitiser regularly
- Clean your vehicle after every trip, focusing on areas that riders may have touched, like seat belts or car doors and handles.
We recommend that while you clean your vehicle you:
- Wear disposable gloves
- Wear a disposable apron
- Use antibacterial surface spray to clean the surfaces
If you receive back to back trips, we recommend that you ask your rider to wait for a few minutes while you sanitise the back of your vehicle. We have told riders about this cleaning requirement, so they should not be surprised that this is needed.
We are also asking that riders keep your wellbeing in mind by:
- Washing their hands (or using hand sanitiser) before entering the vehicle
- Giving you space by sitting in the back seat
- Covering their mouth or nose if they cough or sneeze
- Opening the window to improve ventilation
And, in line with Government guidance, we ask that if you feel sick (e.g. if you have a mild illness, respiratory symptoms, or a fever of 38C or above) please stay at home and keep away from others. If your symptoms get worse, call 111. To learn more about how Uber is supporting drivers with COVID-19, click here.
Ensuring you get the PPE you need
We want to ensure that you have the personal protective equipment (PPE) listed above, so we are now offering to reimburse you for purchasing PPE up to the total value of £25. To learn more about how to claim for PPE reimbursement, click here.
You can also claim a free hand gel and sanitiser at our new webstore – check your inbox for your personal promo code. Terms and conditions apply.
Answers to your questions
- Will I be paid less for an Uber Medics trip?
- Is Uber making money on Uber Medics trips?
- Are Uber Medics trips safe?
- What happens if I feel unwell after taking an Uber Medics trip?
- How do cancellation fees work on Uber Medics trips?
- Who is eligible for Uber Medics trips?
- How long will we have Uber Medics?
Listen to the Uber Podcast: Uber Medics Explained
In this episode of the Uber Podcast, our host Jamie Wood explains all things Uber Medics. Give it a listen to find out more about how Uber Medics works, the safety precautions we’ve put in place to help protect you, and how to opt out if you wish.
Listen to the Uber Podcast here