Uber Green is a ride option that for the first time in London lets you request an electric car. As part of the UK Government’s Together For Our Planet campaign, and with the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV), we want to share steps we can all take to help to make London a cleaner and healthier city. By choosing Uber Green, you are playing an important part in reducing air pollution in your local community.
What are the benefits of zero-emission transport?
Today, most cars in London are still petrol and diesel. By switching to electric journeys, CO₂ exhaust emissions can drop to zero – much better than the average 127.6g of CO₂ that gets used per kilometre in a petrol car. Electric trips also mean:
- Better local air quality. Fully electric vehicles (EVs) have zero exhaust emissions. By emitting less carbon into the atmosphere, EVs help improve local air quality and human health
- Quieter and smoother journeys. You’ll be able to ride in greater comfort without engine vibrations and without having to pay any more than you would for a petrol, diesel or hybrid car
- Supporting the green economy. We all have a part to play in making sure our recovery from Covid is as green as possible – switching to zero-emission technology supports the growth of the EV industry in the UK
“By using an electric vehicle, you are doing your bit to reduce carbon emissions and improve the quality of the air you breathe in your neighbourhood. Little changes like this add up to make a big difference to our environment and quality of life.”Together For Our Planet campaign
What is Uber doing to help?
Uber’s vision is for every single car on the app in London to be electric by 2025. So far:
- 19.5 million miles have been driven in electric vehicles
- £135 million has been raised for drivers to support them to electrify through the Clean Air Plan
- Uber is investing £5m and working with local councils in London to build more charging stations in areas where they will be needed most
- Uber Green is available from Zone 1 to any destination in London, with plans to expand across the whole city and to all riders, helping you keep your area healthy and clean.
“This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to clean up the air in London and in our local areas. Getting home in the evening or going to work shouldn’t come at an extra cost – to you or to the environment.”Jamie Heywood, Regional Manager for Northern and Eastern Europe, Uber
Uber has also committed to being zero exhaust emissions across the UK by 2030, so expect more Uber Green launches in cities in the months and years to come.
Choosing Green means choosing cleaner air for your street and your city, for yourself and your loved ones. We all have our part to play. Together, we can make London a healthier and cleaner city.
More about Together For Our Planet
Together For Our Planet is a UK government campaign ahead of the UN Climate Change Conference COP26, taking place in Glasgow in November 2021. It seeks to raise awareness of the threats posed by climate change and nurture collaboration to protect our planet and people to ensure a greener, more resilient future for us all.
More about OZEV
The Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV) is the Government unit leading on the transition to zero emission vehicles.
More about Go Ultra Low
Go Ultra Low is a UK government campaign supported by the Office of Zero Emission Vehicles, vehicle manufacturers and energy providers. Go Ultra Low aims to provide the facts and information needed to make an informed decision about switching to an electric vehicle (EV).