It’s the end of a long hard day (or a big night) and you’ve just arrived home when an all too familiar feeling creeps up on you- you’ve left your phone in your Uber! You’re not alone. In fact, over the last 12 months, more than 60,000 Aussies left something behind in an Uber.
We’ve released its latest iteration of our Lost & Found Index, which shows how forgetful Australians can be. Here are some interesting highlights and lowlights from our forgetful year:
- 64,484 claims were made by Australians on lost items
- Melbourne lost more items than any other Australian city
- The most common day to lose an item is Saturday. In second place: Sunday
- New Year’s Eve wasn’t the day with the most lost items. That crown was taken by the weekend of March 26 and 27
Mobile phones were the most common items left in Ubers in 2017, but we also left some more unique items in the back seat. Here are some of the weirdest forgotten items:
- 18k gold smoke pipe
- A Boom Box
- A gold wedding band
- An LCD TV
- Ultrasound scans
- A wig
- A shotgun belt
If you’re starting to think Australia can’t hold onto anything, just be thankful we’re not as bad as the New Zealand man who left his mate in an Uber and then claimed him as lost.
If you’re one of the thousands of Aussies who left an item in an Uber, you’re in luck, because you can easily contact your driver to get your item returned.
The best way to retrieve an item you may have left in a vehicle is to call the driver. Here’s how:
- Tap “Your Trips” and select the trip where you left something
- Tap “I lost an item”
- Tap “Contact driver about a lost item”
- Scroll down and enter the phone number you would like to be contacted at.* Tap submit.*If you lost your personal phone, enter a friend’s phone number instead.
- Your phone will ring and connect you directly with your driver’s mobile number.
- If your driver picks up and confirms that your item has been found, coordinate a mutually convenient time and place to meet for its return to you.
- If your driver doesn’t pick up, leave a detailed voicemail describing your item and the best way to contact you