Airport regulations for driver-partners
Per airport regulations, drivers must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that you may incur.
When on airport property, the Uber driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go offline unless exiting the airport area, not on a trip).
Uber’s technology uses a queuing process. This means that in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting lot located at 2402 North Westshore Blvd, just south of Airport Service Rd, which can be accessed off North Westshore Blvd. You will then be placed in a virtual queue, where you'll be able to receive a trip request. Please only use the parking spaces designated for TNC vehicles.
Driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive airport trip requests through the Uber Driver app. Please note that you will now be sharing a parking lot with other ground transportation companies, including taxis.
The Uber sticker (trade dress) must always be displayed on the vehicle’s windshield for airport trips. Driver-partners can pick up this sticker at their local Greenlight Hub or fill out this form to have it delivered.
Helpful tips for airport trips
Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
Pickups at the airport
How pickup requests work
Receiving trip requests from riders leaving the airport work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests In order to receive a trip request, driver-partners are required to enter a designated waiting area, a driver queue zone. Upon doing so, driver-partners are placed in a virtual queue to receive trip requests.
Some things to know about the waiting lot
Proximity to the terminal within the driver queue zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue. If there are no driver-partners in the zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area - outside of the zone - based on proximity and other factors
You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber driver app
- You drive outside the zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel a ride (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Drivers who are doing a pickup can take a left on 32nd Ave W from the waiting lot and follow the signs to rideshare pickup. Use of this parking lot, outside of picking up riders, is prohibited by the airport.
How dropoff requests work
Dropoffs at the airport
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders can be dropped off on the departures level of Tampa International Airport. After your passenger is dropped off, you may be eligible for a Re-Match trip. if you are not matched immediately, please go to the waiting lot to wait for another trip.
TPA Waiting Lots
Helpful tips for airport trips
1. Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule: Checking the arrivals schedule at Tampa International Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See TPA ARRIVALS SCHEDULE.
5. Making music optional: While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!