Rules and regulations
PIT Regulations for driver-partners
Per PIT regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- Failure to provide service (a) to a short-haul destination; (b) due to a passenger’s use of a credit card; (c) for any reason, will be considered a violation of PIT Regulations.
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield facing outward. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub.
- Citations can occur for any of the following reasons:
- Not displaying Uber sticker properly (trade dress)
- Pickup anywhere except for Door 4 of the Commercial Arrivals
- Dropping off anywhere other than Public Departures
- Picking up in an active travel lane (not directly flush with the curb)
- Leaving vehicle unattended
- Being disrespectful to airport officials
- Failure to maintain an overall clean and professional appearance
- Driving on any roads that are marked as prohibited use, such as emergency vehicle roads & lanes
- Driving dangerously or aggressively (reckless driving) while on airport property
- All pickups must occur in the Uber Pick-Up zone to the right of Door 4 curbside, any other location could be subject to fines.
- There is no waiting time permitted at the PIT curb for pickups, the curb should only be used for active loading and unloading.
- You must pull your vehicle parallel to the curb, immediately behind the furthermost vehicle. Do not stop in a traffic lane. You may be asked to show your waybill. To access it, tap the "info" button that appears in your app. All dropoffs must occur in Public Departures curbside, any other location could be subject to fines. When on airport property, the Uber driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go Offline until exiting the airport area) We’ve instituted a special first vehicle in is the first one out (FIFO) system at Pittsburgh International Airport. The FIFO system only works within the designated, geofenced area and driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber driver app.
How pickup requests work
Pickups at PIT
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Based on the operating agreement with PIT, the waiting area is located at the designated parking lot near the Gas Station on Airport Blvd. Arrive at the TNC Staging Lot by following signs to Airport Exit / Return to Terminal / Fuel. Then, make a left onto Return to Terminal Rd, drive behind the gas station, and make the first left down the sloped area to the TNC Staging Lot. A ticket is not needed to access the staging lot. Exit the lot via Gate 46 to the front of the gas station. (see map below).
At PIT, Uber’s technology uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone”. You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue.
- If there are no driver-partners in the FIFO zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area - outside of the FIFO zone - based on proximity and other factors.
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber driver app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel multiple rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at PIT is located at Door 4 of the commercial curb located just past the taxi stand. To access this area, please follow the yellow signs. At Door 4, you will see signage for rideshare pickups / loading zone. Please pull all the way over to the curb, do not stop or load in the active traffic lanes, or make any illegal turns while picking up your rider. (see map below).
How dropoff requests work
Dropoffs at PIT
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with PIT, riders can be dropped off at their requested terminal at the public passenger dropoff curb. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
Uber staging lot at PIT
1) Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
2) Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect Driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
3) Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
4) Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
5) Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
6) Making music optional: While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!
*Please note: If there are no Uber partners in the waiting lot, it IS possible to receive a request from the airport while off airport property. It is NOT possible to receive requests while you are on airport property but not in the waiting lot.