Rules and regulations
Airport regulations for Uber partners
Per airport regulations, drivers must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that drivers may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber Driver app must be open at all times (drivers must not go offline until exiting the airport area)
- We’ve instituted a special first vehicle in is the first one out (FIFO) system at John Wayne Airport. The FIFO system only works within the designated, geofenced area and drivers waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber Driver app unless there are no drivers in the geofenced queue.
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield and rear passenger windshield facing outward. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub.
- No airport permit is necessary for non-commercial vehicles.
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and drivers expect. Please remember that drivers who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect drivers to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
Pickups at the airport
How pickup requests work
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Uber’s technology uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a "FIFO zone." You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
The designated FIFO zone for airport pickup requests is inside the area bordered by MacArthur Blvd, I-405, Von Karman Ave, and Route 73.
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for drivers or move you closer to the top of the queue.
- If there are no drivers in the FIFO zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area—outside of the FIFO zone—based on proximity and other factors.
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber Driver app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel a ride (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept an UberX, UberXL, or Select trip request, head to the Departures Level. The pickup locations at the airport are located on Level 3 of each terminal’s designated parking structure. You can meet riders at:
- Parking Structure A2, near the Level 3 elevators, for Terminal A
- Parking Structure B2, near the Level 3 exit, for Terminal B
- Parking Structure C, near the Level 3 elevators, for Terminal C
To pick up riders at their terminal’s designated parking structure:
- Drive to the Departures Level roadway
- Follow the in-app instructions and airport signage to enter the parking structure for your rider’s terminal
- Pull a ticket to enter the parking structure and park in the designated area for pickups. Any vehicles that pull a ticket and enter the lot are required to pay $1 if in the lot under 30 minutes. And remember, Uber does not pay for or reimburse any parking costs
- Insert your ticket and if applicable, pay the $1 to exit.
- Exit the airport and drop off your rider at their final destination
We recommend calling your rider to confirm their location to make it easier for you to find each other. Black and Black SUV pickups are curbside on the Arrivals Level.
Dropoffs at the airport
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders can be dropped off at the Departures Level. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterwards, you’ll need to keep the Uber Driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
We've also launched the Re-Match feature at this airport. To qualify for Re-Match, drivers must first complete a dropoff at the airport. Re-Match then allows any driver who just completed an airport dropoff to temporarily receive a pickup request without having to go to the waiting area.
Once you drop off at the airport, if you wish, you can head toward the waiting area to wait in the FIFO queue for an airport request. Upon navigation to the waiting area, you may receive a Re-Match request within a 30-second window.
Airport regulations prohibit loitering in the terminal area, so idling at the curb may result in a citation from airport authorities.
Designated waiting area
Based on the operating agreement with SNA, the waiting area is located in the area bordered by MacArthur Blvd, I-405, Von Karman Ave, and Route 73 (see map).
- The waiting area does not include the terminal loop consisting of John Wayne Airport Roadway and North Airport Way, nor the Cell Phone Waiting Lot located at the corner of MacArthur Blvd and Campus Dr.
- You will not receive any requests if you wait in the terminal loop, John Wayne Airport parking structures, or Cell Phone Waiting Lot. You may be subject to citation if found waiting for trip requests on airport property.
Helpful tips for airport trips
1. Getting your car ready
Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage
It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders
Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule
Checking the arrivals schedule at John Wayne Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See SNA ARRIVALS SCHEDULE.
5. Making music optional
While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!