Minneapolis-St Paul International Airport
Information for driver-partners
Riders at MSP can request rides with Uber when leaving the airport. Learn how to receive these trip requests and get in on the action.
Beginning January 1, 2018, all driver-partners must have an airport license to receive airport requests.
MSP Regulations for driver-partners
Per MSP regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go Offline until exiting the airport area)
- We’ve instituted a special first vehicle in is the first one out (FIFO) system at Minneapolis-St Paul International Airport. The FIFO system only works within the designated, geofenced area and driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber driver app.
The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front windshield on the passenger side and rear driver window facing outward. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub.
Beginning January 1, 2018, all uberX, uberXL and UberSELECT partners must obtain an annual airport permit to receive airport requests. For more information, visit our permit guide.
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect Driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
How pickup requests work
Pickups at MSP
Waiting for requests
At MSP, Uber’s technology uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone”. You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue.
- If there are no driver-partners in the FIFO zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area - outside of the FIFO zone - based on proximity and other factors.
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber driver app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel a ride (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, navigate to the pickup location for the requested terminal (see map below):
- Terminal 1 - follow signs towards Ticketing/Check-in. As you approach the terminal, turn left into the App-Based Ride Services pickup area.
- Terminal 2 - follow sign towards Departures. After passing the skyway, follow signs for Authorized Vehicles Only to the left of the roadway.
How dropoff requests work
Dropoffs at MSP
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with MSP, riders can be dropped off at Departures. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
Waiting for MSP Airport pickups
Beginning December 6, partners are now able to use the App Based Staging Lot next to the licensing office to wait for requests.
- You must have your airport permit sticker on the top-center of your windshield
- Cars entering the lot after you may leave first due to product eligibility.
- Please park within the provided parking stalls.
Helpful tips for airport trips
1. Getting your car ready: air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage: it may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders: asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule: checking the arrivals schedule at MSP can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest.
5. Making music optional: while tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!