1. Sign up online
Tell us a little about yourself and your car by creating a driver profile.
2. Minimum vehicle requirements
Your vehicle must meet the requirements to drive with Uber in Winnipeg. Check if your vehicle is qualified.
3. Share your documents
Take photos of the following documents and upload them to your account:
- Driver's licence: 21+ years old, Manitoba class 1 to 5, 5F driver's licence or equivalent
- Proof of work eligibility: Birth certificate, Citizenship card, Passport, Permanent PR card, Work permit, Social Insurance Number card or letter, Study permit (if it declares the ability to work off-campus unrelated to program of study), Certificate of Indian Status, Canadian Forces Identification Card, Nexus card. Please submit a photo or the original document. Scanned copies are not accepted. Make sure to avoid using flash so that your information is clear and readable.
- If you are uploading a work permit extension letter, upload the extension letter and your work permit in the same photo
- If you are waiting for your renewed PR card, upload a photo of your current PR card and PR card extension letter
- Drivers abstract: To obtain a Driver Abstract, visit any MPI Service Centre.
4. Background Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
Your background screening can be completed online on Winnipeg Police Service's website. Complete the electronic Police Information Check (ePIC) below and ensure that you select ‘Uber’ as the agency for which you are completing a Police Information Check. As a new driver, your background screening must include the Vulnerable Sector Search.
Uber does not accept background checks marked VOID. If your background check is marked VOID, please share your background check directly with Uber through the Winnipeg Electronic Police Information Check System. We will receive the check directly and upload and review it on your behalf.
For more information, see Winnipeg's background screening requirements
5. Vehicle Registration and Insurance with Vehicle For Hire Coverage
Regulations require Drivers in Winnipeg to have Insurance with Passenger Vehicle for Hire coverage. To drive for Uber, your vehicle must have coverage in all 4 timebands.
In addition your insurance territory must be 1, 2, 3, 4 or territory 2 commute to territory 1.
Helpful Tip: You can obtain both Insurance with Vehicle for Hire Coverage and MPI Drivers Abstract from any MPI Service Centre.
6. Vehicle Inspection
To be eligible to drive with Uber, your vehicle must have a passed Certificate of Inspection by an approved mechanic.
Once you receive your COI, upload the certificate to your Uber account.
7. Child Abuse Check
After you’ve uploaded all the documents above, you will be able to access the Uber Driver App and upload your Child Abuse Check.
The document is not required before you drive with Uber, but regulations require you to provide the Child Abuse Check within 90 days of completing your first Uber trip with Winnipeg.
Please ensure that you select the ‘Child Abuse Registry’ when you select the application type.
Note: Applications can take 4-6 weeks to process, please keep this in mind when submitting your application.
Why you'll love driving
1. Set your own schedule
You can drive with Uber anytime, day or night, 365 days a year. When you drive is always up to you, so it never gets in the way of the important things in your life.
2. Make more at every turn
Trip fares start with a base amount, then increase with time and distance. And when there are more people needing rides than normal, drivers make more.
3. Meet new people and learn about your city
You'll meet and have conversations with people from all walks of life. From long-time residents to first-time tourists, families, small business owners, and more.
You'll also become an expert on Winnipeg and discover new places to show your friends and family.