Does your vehicle qualify to drive with Uber? Most 4-door vehicles do, but requirements vary by service.
To drive with Uber in Edmonton, your vehicle must meet these minimum requirements:
- 4-door vehicle with independently opening doors
- 5 seatbelts
- 12 years old or newer
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
- No commercial branding
- Pass a vehicle inspection
You must have a Class 1-55 vehicle registration to drive with Uber. Learn more here.
Please note: the Class 1-55 vehicle registration does not provide drivers with the same privileges as a taxi.
Alberta has approved an insurance policy from Intact Insurance designed specifically for rideshare drivers. You can see our policy here. All drivers are also required to maintain a personal insurance policy. We recommend speaking with your provider to discuss ridesharing. For a rideshare-friendly insurance quote, please visit www.uber.aon.ca.
Your name must be visible on the insurance pink slip. If you’re the secondary driver, you must show proof of the policy document with your name on it.
Vehicle options in Edmonton
The most popular option for riders.
The vehicle's model year must be 12 years old or newer to qualify to drive with UberX in Edmonton. View our list of popular models, but others may qualify.
Seat extra passengers—and earn higher fares—with your high-capacity vehicle.
The vehicle's model year must be 12 years old or newer. Most SUVs qualify to drive with UberXL. See our list of popular models, but others may qualify.
Uber Comfort was designed to maximize possibilities on the Uber platform.
- Maintaining eligibility on a different Uber option such as Uber Black, Uber Black SUV, UberX, or UberXL
- Having a minimum star rating of 4.85 and have completed at least 100 trips
- Driving a vehicle with more legroom than smaller, compact cars eligible for UberX and that meet the minimum vehicle year requirement
Under local regulations for Edmonton all drivers must display an Uber decal on their vehicle while online. Place one on your front windshield on the passenger side, and the other on your rear windshield on the driver side, both facing outward.
Not displaying Uber stickers can result in fines.
You can remove it when you decide to go offline and save it for the next time. Pro tip: keep the paper it comes with to place your sticker on when not in use.
We'll send your Uber sticker to your mailing address.
Need to order stickers?
Order in your app:
- Go to the ‘Account’ tab
- Go to ‘Help’ and select ‘Signing Up’
- Go to ‘Requirements’ and select ‘Uber decal requirements’
- Click on ‘ORDER UBER DECAL’