How to apply for an operating permit in South Africa
Uber is assisting partners through the Operating License Application process with the Gauteng Department of Transport and local authorities. All Uber driver-partners with vehicles are required to get their respective vehicles licensed. Partners should apply for the license in the city where they operate.
Applying for an operating license in Johannesburg or Pretoria
How the process works
1) Step 1
- Visit the Uber Greenlight hub
- Bring all required Operating License application documents
- A Uber Expert will be there to assist and verify applications before they go the DoT
2) Step 2
Submit your application to your respective:
- DoT Johannesburg
- DoT Pretoria
- DoT Ekurhuleni
- DOT West Rand
- Applications cost R300
- Application receipts must be uploaded to your vehicle’s Uber profile
3) Step 3
- Upload your operating license application receipt onto your profile. The receipt is valid for 6 months.
- Visit the department of transport once every 4 months to check the status of your application
- Request for an application status report (OR02) and upload it on to your profile if granted.
- For an Individual
- For a Company
Johannesburg and Pretoria licenses FAQs
- What does it cost to apply?
- Do I have to go to the department?
- What is a Letter of Designation?
- How do I obtain an Letter of Designation?
- What can I use for as proof residence?
- Do I need a SARS Tax Clearance Certificate?
- What is a tax Clearance Certificate and authentication PIN?
- Where do I get a Clearance Certificate and authentication PIN?
- I’m the operator but I don’t own the vehicle ?
- Should I use a consultant or an agent?
- How much do I owe Uber?
- How long will it take?
- If a vehicle is still owned by the bank (not yet paid up), how will I certify my documents as I do not have an original copy, i.e. COR?
- I have a Tourist or Charter operating License, can I use that?
- What’s the difference between the Charter and the Metered Taxi Operating license?
- What are the opening hours of applications at the Uber offices?
- E-filing procedure
- I’m the operator but I don’t own the vehicle?
- What happens once I get the License from the Department of Transport?
Where should I apply for my operating license?
Applying for an operating license in Cape Town
Submit your business plan
Complete the form to apply for your business plan.
Follow this link: t.uber.com/BPSubmissions
Be aware that we will not be able to answer any specific questions about your specific license application. Any partner that has a vehicle/s on the platform can apply for an operating permit.
Please take note:
- The TYPE of property you submit in your business plan has to match the documents
- Residential property does not qualify as a business address. If property is zoned as residential it will be subject to residential document submissions and restrictions
Documents to submit
Proof of parking by business address
MAX 5 permits can be supported
- Lease agreement greater or equal to 1 year (nothing less than a year accepted) / tax invoice of parking/ parking quotation
- ID of business owner or company registration documents – must be linked to business plan submitted
Any business address submitted must clearly state the parking spaces available
Proof of parking by Apartment (Rented / Owned)
- ONLY 1 Permit can be supported
- Permission from Body Corporate
- Applicant has permanent parking space (no more than 1)
- Applicant is allowed to park business vehicles on premises
- Municipal rates bill or equivalent indicating erf # (or address)
- ID of tenant (if applicant) OR Homeowner (if applicant)
Proof of parking by residential address (Owned by applicant)
ONLY 1 Permit can be supported
Municipal Rates bill or equivalent indicating erf # or address
- ID of Home owner and Tenant
Proof of parking by residential address (Rented by Applicant)
- ONLY 1 Permit can be supported
- Municipal Rates bill or equivalent indicating erf # or address
- ID of Homeowner
- Valid lease or letter from owner stating that applicant is allowed to use premises
Cape Town license FAQs
- How long will the process take? Do I get updates?
- How are partners selected for the process?
- I operate a business from a residential address, can I apply for 5 permits?
- I have applied for more than the stated number of permits
Applying for an operating license in Port Elizabeth
The Metered Taxi Operating license is a required document and your vehicle will not be able to operate on the Uber Partner App without it.
- Certified ID or Company Registration Documents
- 1 x FORM 1B complete per vehicle
- Complete For Meter Taxi
- Passenger Count: 4+1
- Descriptions of Route details
- Cost: R 300 per Form 1B
- 1 x Form 10 completed - Commissioner of Oaths required
- Vehicle Roadworthy Certificate
- License Disk
- Tax Clearance Certificate
- Insurance documents
- Meter and vehicle Certificates
- Any other documents deemed necessary by PRE
The application process
1) Complete documentation
Complete all required documentation as mentioned above.
2) Submit Application & Pay
Submit the required documentation to the Department of Transport and Pay R 300 per application.
3) Upload Receipt onto Profile
Upload the proof of submission documentation onto partner’s profile. Each vehicle must have a an application loaded.
How to uplift your operating license
1) PRE Hearing
Each applicant makes representations to PRE PRE denies/issue OL with Conditions.
2) Submit Operating License Documents
Submit all necessary Operating license documents to uplift operating license to the PRE.
3) Upload Operating License on Partner Profile
Upload the valid Operating License.
Port Elizabeth license FAQs
- Why do I need to get my operating license?
- How long does it take to get my Operating license?
- Where can I get applications?
- Where do I apply for an Operating License?
- How much does it cost?
- I have just applied, what now?
Get more from Uber
The information provided on this web page is intended for informational purposes only and may not be applicable in your country, region, or city. It is subject to change and may be updated without notice.